Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrading RAM & Processor---Suggestions.

by JJS75 / July 24, 2008 6:56 AM PDT

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to upgrage my PC of 6 years. It's a Frys FM7440 with XP. Currently has a Pent 4 2.66 Ghz,533 FSB, 512kb cache and 512MB DDR PC 2700. I called the manufact.(Frys)tech line, and he told me I can go up to 1 Gig DDR per slot(2) and to a Pent 4 3.0 (socket 478). He said it will be tough to find a processor, because of the socket. I was on newegg, and saw one there.
#1 Are these processors available? If so, is it worth upgrading? Any suggestion on a specifice one...model?
#2 Do you upgrade for both Memory Slots, or just one? Any suggestions on a specific product?
Any suggestions are appreciated. Any other tips to maximize the performance is appreciated too.
Thanks, JS>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading RAM & Processor---Suggestions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading RAM & Processor---Suggestions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggestions
by Kees Bakker / July 24, 2008 7:06 AM PDT

It doesn't make much sense to spend much money for upgrading a CPU from 2.66 to 3.0 Ghz. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a second-hand one.

Depending on what you do with the machine, it might make sense to expend the memory to 1 Mb, adding a stick like you have now. Using faster memory might speed up the computer also, but if using 2 keep them the same speed. So your choices are:
Add 512 Mb 2700
Buy 512 Mb faster memory
Buy 1024 Mb faster memory

I assume you already did the usuals for optimizing performance:
- carefully check if all start-up programs are necessary
- check for malware (viruses, trojans, spyware)
- disk cleanup
- a one-time defrag

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe your...
by Willy / July 24, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

Your problem will be the cpu, as the socket 478 is just too old. But heck, if you find a faster cpu, then do what you want. Probably, it will be "used cpu" and cost should be under $30.

Ram upgrade is your best bet and see how it effects your system w/o a newer cpu. Staying with a ram upgrade will provide the most bang for buck, IMHO.

HOWEVER, you should seriously consider any $ spend may find a better home on a newer system. Yeah, it will mean more money, but unless your needs are less demanding, you will be able to keep up with the newer demands placed on a system. The duo or quad cpu is the norm now and single cpu setups are fading fast. Check eBay and http://www.geeks.com for some pricing, new and used.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not worth it
by noheadundead / July 24, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

IMHO, i don't think it's worth it. new computers are so cheap, and custom made ones are even cheaper (usually) that it might just be worth spending 300 dollars and getting a new computer. all you would really need is a new tower, and you could reuse everything else. you could buy a transfer cable or use a jump drive to transfer files from the old computer to the new one. but if you want to keep your old computer, look for a used pentium 3.0 on ebay, like everyone else said. RAM is the best place to upgrade. 1 gig will make a huge difference... but its 50-60 bucks for a gig. Maybe an extra case fan too, if you dont already have one, because the 3.0 pentium will probably run a little warmer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?