PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading PSU

I don't know much about computers, but I know I need to upgrade the power supply in my HP pavilion a6157c TV PC. It only has a 250 watt psu and an intel 950 graphics setup ,which I find out isn't big enough for my photo work or some gaming. I would like to put an 8500 size card in. A friend has aa ANTEC 430 watt unit sitting around. Will this be compatible with my HP ? Being almost double the size,will it screw up or fry any of the other components?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading PSU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading PSU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If HP is like other makers

In reply to: Upgrading PSU

....you'll be hard pressed to find one that will work. Actually, that is really good that you have that spare PSU around. Go ahead and try that, if possible. If it fits (literally), buy one just like it.

The only thing I'm afraid of is proprietary connectors. When replacing the PSU, make sure that PSU has all the plugs as your old one. If it doesn't, describe it and we can see if it is a standardized one or not.

I'm feeling hopeful that most PSU's will fit and be compatible. Looking at the connectors on your PSU (Bestec ATX-250-12V), they look good except for the HP 4-Pin video card power. That doesn't look necessary because the 8500GT doesn't require external power.

I would try the Antec, see how it works out. If it is good, then almost any PSU will do.

Hehe, Antec is a great maker. Actually the opposite is true of PSUs: smaller PSUs kill, larger ones don't.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Re; upgrade

In reply to: If HP is like other makers

Ikjadoon, Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give what you suggested a shot.

Collapse -
No problem.

In reply to: Re; upgrade

Good luck with the build!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Just be careful. Sometimes just opening the side panel can void your warranty. If not, replacing this PSU surely will. Call to make sure, however. They might be nice. Grin

Collapse -
2 questions

In reply to: No problem.

Ikjadoon ,First; how did you know it is a Bestec? I looked all over and could not find that info. Second; Bestec shows 2 different ATX-250's , a250 12E and a 250 12z . Would you know which one is in this machine ? Thanks for your patience...

Collapse -
Sure!

In reply to: 2 questions

Easy, I looked it up here. Scroll down and you'll see the Bestec mentioned. Here is the full info:

250-watt (max) power supply (Zinfandel), Bestec ATX-250-12V) - 100-120VAC and 200-240VAC input (switch selectable), 50/60Hz

I'm not sure which one it is, actually. I would reckon both would be apt, but I'm leaning towards the first.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Found it

In reply to: Sure!

Ibrahim, once again, thank you !

Collapse -
:D

In reply to: Found it

Good luck with the Antec!

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Can I interject?

In reply to: Upgrading PSU

The GMA 950 is easily capable of handling ANY photographic editing load, photographic editing even at the professional level (like publishing magazines) doesn't require any form of 3D processing card, at all. All of the processing for photo editing is handled by the CPU, not the graphics processor. The gaming is a somewhat seperate issue, but the only thing I can suggest to you is that you try the games out before spending money on a new power supply and graphics card, that you might not even need.

I'm not trying to discredit the 8500, but it seems like the integrated graphics segment is taking a lot of a bad rap on these forums recently, and it isn't with much factual basis. The GMA 950 has been compared to the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra (the re-released version) in terms of performance, which means its capable of handling DirectX 8 and 9 games, and the only games that will give it any amount of "serious" trouble are the really graphics intensive, really demanding games (such as Supreme Commander or FEAR), both of which will still manage to run though. In regards to anything involving video, photo, audio, etc content creation, editing, manipulation, or otherwise "work" on the PC, the graphics card has about as much effect on it as the shoes you're wearing.

There is no acceleration provided by the graphics card for photo manipulation, or video editing, or watching TV, etc. All the graphics processor is doing for those tasks is handling a 2D display feed, which is something all graphics processors the world over have been capable of doing since around 1999.

Collapse -
Good to know

In reply to: Can I interject?

Thanks for your help..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.