Laptops forum

Question

Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400

Hello everyone! My laptop is Dell Latitude E5400. Recently, I replaced the old 240gb/5400rpm hard drive with a Kingston 240gb SSD. I also added 2gb/800mhz more RAM and now it has 4gb in total. So, I decided to replace the processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T7250/2mb L2 cache) with a faster one. (These are the numbers on the top of the processor if they help: LF80537, V947A355, SLA49)

This is the list of processors that I am interested in:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo - T9300 - (6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
2. Intel Core 2 Duo - T9500 - (6M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

My Questions are:

1. Will it work? I am really confused. Can somebody explain the difference between BGA479, PGA478, PPGA478 sockets? Are these T9300 and T9500 processors compatible with my motherboard socket?
2. Is the BIOS (Version A13) going to recognize the new processor?
3. Do I need to change my 65W power cable with bigger one if the new processor is with the same 35W consumption as the T7250?
4. Is the upgrade worth it? I am using the laptop only for small graphic design works with Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. Is there going to be a significant improvement in the performance?

*Note: I am not interested in buying new computer.

Thank you very much for the help and the information!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: upgrading processor

In reply to: Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400

If you can't find the processor compatibilty list for your laptop on the Dell site (even after providing the service tag), ask their customer support. Such a list should tell about the necessary BIOS version also.

If Dell says it can be done, see if you can find benchmarks to compare the current CPU and the ones you want to replace it with and then decide if it's worth the money for you.

Collapse -
Answer
Too small a gain in my view. Have you upgraded .....

In reply to: Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400

I have a core2duo laptop. Some 2009 Vaio and it's on the list to get a move to SSD. Overall you'll gain more from a move to SSD and maxing out the RAM.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!