Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrading processor

by Browneyes84 / February 10, 2008 9:15 AM PST

My computer currently has a 1.80 Ghz pentium 4 processor. I am running 128 megs of ram on windows xp. I have an extra pentium 4 processor with 2.80 Ghz. Can i swap out this processor with hurting my computer and if it will make it faster?

Thank You,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading processor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading processor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you know your motherboard model?
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2008 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading processor

It's capability determines whether the processor is compatible or not. If it's of the same socket type, there's a good chance it will work. I can't tell you if the board will auto-configure the processor. As well, XP is going to see the change and you might have to reactivate. If the processor works, you will probably see a small performance gain but it looks as if your RAM is still going to be a bottleneck. You should be at 1/2 gig or more.

Collapse -
I agree
by Jimmy Greystone / February 10, 2008 10:26 AM PST

If you haven't bought the processor yet, save your money and buy more RAM. You want 512MB minimum for XP, 1GB being something of a "sweet spot" for the OS. You will see a dramatic performance increase if you add more RAM, but only a marginal increase with the processor upgrade.

Collapse -
before placing the processor check motherboard first
by xhanis / February 10, 2008 1:25 PM PST

It seem that you want to change the processor so i can say like this before placing the processor you must check motherboard first

1 what the model of processor it can support
2 what the rate of FSB it can support like 533/800/1066 Mhz
3 check the socket for the applicable processor if the socket is same
4 you must check the processor pin where its on processor (PGA) or on motherboard (LGA) because some new motherboard and processor are using LGA type

and then make sure to upgrade your memory because its to slow for XP i suggest 512MB or 1 GB for a good performance along with the new processor if you want to upgrade ram just make sure you buy the right type (check your motherboard for ram support) cause i also have to check any hardware that has newly install in order to make my PC as good as new

hope this will make you happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?