Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrading PIII CPU

by jessicasue / November 19, 2003 3:10 AM PST

Hi,

I've got a Micron Millennia Max GS PIII 733 133FSB with a TazerII-Tyan S1854 Via 133a 4x motherboard. I was thinking of replacing the CPU with one of the later PIIIs like a 1.3 GHz for ~$80 (what was the last PIII's speed?). Sounds like a cheap performance boost. Can I just put any PIII on that MB or are there other considerations?

Thanks,
Craig

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading PIII CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading PIII CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Upgrading PIII CPU = Not on the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading PIII CPU
Collapse -
Re:Re:Upgrading PIII CPU = Not on the list.
by jessicasue / November 20, 2003 2:31 AM PST

Thanks, Bob. Looks like another computer fading into the sunset.

Collapse -
Upgrading PIII CPU = Not on the list.
by Michael 08330 / February 4, 2004 5:06 AM PST

Actually, what has made you decide to upgrade your CPU? I have a similar situation in that I am stepping up from a PIII 733MHz to a PIII 1GHz on an Aopen AX34 Pro II MB. It's the fastest compatible chip that I can get for this board, according to Aopen. MY reason for the upgrade is to install a DVD writer. The better DVD RAM drives all require at least a PIII 800MHz or better processor. My hard drive space, memory and all the other critical specs pass, but my processor is going on 4 years old! If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even bother with the upgrade; my machine is running fine (knock on wood). Think about why you want to upgrade the processor - you may find that putting your money towards a new P4 machine would be a better idea.

If you do decide to upgrade the processor, check Tyan's website for jumper settings any whether BIOS information needs to be altered.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
upgrading A definate Maybe
by VillyCarl / May 9, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

Upgrading your processor will depent upon serveral compatability issues. They are:
1) Which version of the CPU interface you have:
A) Slot 1
B) Socket 370 FCPGA (Coppermine Processor)
C) Socket 370 FCPGA2 (Tualatin Processor

2) Which chipset you have on your motherboard, and whether the chipset will support the processor you want.

The good news is that you can definately upgrade your system, the question is just how much. If you have a 370 FCPGA socket you can get an adapter to mount a 370 FCPGA2, if your chipset is comptible, The Tualatins have processor speeds up to 1.4 Ghz. Even if your chipset will not support a Tualatin, you can still upgrade to 1.0 Ghz coppermine processor. (once you find one)

Collapse -
Further clarification
by VillyCarl / May 9, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

You should also be aware that if you have a Slot 1 there are P III processors of up to 1.0 Ghz in the slot 1 configuration.

Collapse -
re
by nerdyboy1234 / May 9, 2005 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Further clarification

upgrading the processor wouldnt really give u much of a boost as i have a pIII coppermine core 1 ghz and comparing dat with a p4, just blows it away. i know wont make a difference because my bro has a p4 3.6 ghz and i have a p4 3.0 ghz.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.