PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading on a budget.

by AmongtheShadows / March 11, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

I'm looking to upgrade my current system, but i only have $1,400 available to complete the task. I'm looking to upgrade the basics if i can get away with it for now. example the cpu, motherboard, ram, case, and power supply. i am running a agp graphics card right now as well, and if figure i might have to upgrade that as well. Plus i also want to stick with windows xp if i can, i realize that i will have to buy a new copy xp when doing this, and so that cost i have factored out. so the remaining amount is the above number. if someone could help me out that would be great. thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading on a budget.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading on a budget.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by steve749 / March 11, 2007 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading on a budget.

You don't state what you are running now or what you would like the upgraded system to be able to handle. For example, do you play a lot of games, do photo editing, or just want a basic system for surfing the net and home office uses?

If you upgrade the motherboard, cpu, case, ram and power supply, how is that not a new system or darn near it?

For example, you could look on Extremetech's $800 build it yourself gaming system and then pick which parts to upgrade to fit your budget and wants.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
$1130 pc
by ramarc / March 11, 2007 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading on a budget.

the config below is a good gaming pc. if you've no interest in gaming, you can omit the video card and use the built-in graphics.

mobo, $112: gigabyte ga-965gm-s2
cpu, $185: core2duo e6300
2gb ram, $165: corsair vs2gbkit667d2 2x1gb ddr2-667
250gb hard drive, $80: seagate st3250824as sata
mid-range video, $155: sapphire radeon x1950gt 256mb
dvd burner, $40: any lg/lite-on/sony 16x-18x retail
keyboard/mouse, $42: microsoft 69n-00013s wireless combo

newegg total: $779

case/power supply $125: antec sonata ii w/450w power supply from circuit city/best buy/compusa
(i always buy cases locally so i don't wind up with a damaged unit; price is about the same since shipping is pretty expensive.)

grand total: $904

if you want a nice monitor, here's an acer 20" widescreen for $225: http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-20-widescreen-lcd-monitor-1680x1050-600-1-8ms-dvi/q/loc/101/203390155.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.