PC Hardware forum

Question

Upgrading my nVidia video card

My Dell Precision 390's nVidia 3500 crashed and Im looking to find a replacement. What Id like to get is something relatively cheap that fits the computer and has more or less enough punch as the 3500 and supports two monitors. From what I understand it can be any card as long as it supports DDR3 PCI. Is this correct? ( I have core 2 duo 2.4GHz 4GB ram Win7 x 64 PC)

I found a few here and im curious if they would work well( I do CAD 3D design, photoshop and some light video editing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galaxy-MDT-GeForce-GT-610-61TGF4AM5UNX-Multi-Display-Video-Card-1GB-DDR3-/221277455682?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item33852a0542

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-PCI-Express-VCGGT620XPB/dp/B00847LDTI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814130815&gclid=CLSao5ncsLkCFYik4AodS28AEg

If you have any other recommendation about the possible card or the required specs I need (for the work that I do) it would be quite useful. I need the minimum price/features for the card that I can get away with.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading my nVidia video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading my nVidia video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Very odd choices.

In reply to: Upgrading my nVidia video card

Collapse -
card selection

In reply to: Very odd choices.

Collapse -
Very odd again.

In reply to: card selection

What does PCI Express 2.0 have to do with the type of ram on the video card? (nothing)

The list is where I shop from. Sorry but it's the best for the money.
Bob

Collapse -
QuadroFX 4500?

In reply to: Very odd again.

Would it make sense though to just get QuadroFX 4500? (found them under $60 on ebay)

Collapse -
Not to me.

In reply to: QuadroFX 4500?

Collapse -
Fx 4500

In reply to: QuadroFX 4500?

Your talking about a card that dates to 2005.......by today's standards it's junk.

Your old card....the 3500...is a 80w card.
Go shopping for a hd 7770 a 80w card.
It should be a straight swap with 10x the horse-power.

Btw......video editing progs are dumping the work load over to the gpu so you need that horse-power.

Collapse -
Double the performance of the 6670?

In reply to: Fx 4500

The 7770 at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7770&id=322

Score = 2155

That's about 10 times the performance of the 4500. I can't guess why someone would consider the 4500 unless it was free.
Bob

Collapse -
3 cards, wildly different benchmarks.

In reply to: radeon

Sorry but it appears you are lost, searching for something. I can't guess what your criteria are here given that you can't decide what you are looking for. Those ebay cards often have issues. That is, just like an used car, why did it end up there?

I fear for your sanity if not your machine or worse you might get a bad card and forever be upset with the brand.
Bob

Collapse -
budget

In reply to: 3 cards, wildly different benchmarks.

So what card can I get that would be in the $40 range and perhaps not from ebay?

Collapse -
Only the 5450.

In reply to: budget

But I thought you wanted something close to today's performances. Nod to the 5450 models which should still beat out the 4500 by more than a few 2x.

Given the age of the 4500 why is is so pricey?
Bob

Collapse -
budget

In reply to: Only the 5450.

Thing is I dont plan to keep the computer for too long so Id rather not invest in it much. Just enough so it would continue being able to do some light workload. Not looking for the fastest machine on the block, since Ill be replacing the whole thing soon anyway.

Collapse -
Just a thought..anything you buy and use now is

transferrable/usable in most any PC/system you buy next assuming it's a full size desktop.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
to clarify

Actually I would be buying a laptop, so i dont need to get a card that would trasfer

Collapse -
Sorry I thought that was answerd above.

In reply to: vs 4500

Collapse -

In reply to: vs 4500

That card is a 110w unit.
Your power supply may not support it and you might open a new 'can of worms'.
Forget that thing.

Go with the 5450.
The e-bay unit looks nice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.