by kmueller44 / January 4, 2007 1:47 AM PST

My laptop is about 2 years old now.

HP ZD8060us
3.2Ghz w/HT
512MB RAM (2x256MB)
ATI x600 128mb graphics

the problem comes when i get to this spec:
100GB 4200RPM Hard Drive PATA

It's just so sluggish and takes forever to get going at startup.

My questions are:
1. Can my system handle a 7200RPM HDD, or is 5400RPM plenty?
2. What brand/model should I look at?
3. Should I spend money on more RAM instead?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading my laptop's HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading my laptop's HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Besides the usual software cleanup...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 2:02 AM PST

CCLEANER, Free AVG Antispyware and such. I'll share my old laptop hard disk upgrade story. It was a worthwhile stepup.

Laptop? An Acer ter600 (p3-600 MHz) with 256 MB RAM and Windows 2000.

Story? No matter what I did or how lean the boot was, it could not boot Windows 2000 in less than 4 minutes. While it was a great machine in 2000, in 2003 it was becoming a nuisance compared to newer machines.

I obtained a 40GB 5400 RPM drive for 99 bucks and cloned it in our disktop with laptop drive adapters using Ghost. Today I suggest Acronis.

The new drive went in and Windows 2000 booted in less than 2 minutes. That's over 1/2 the time it took before.

Something must have been really laggy on the old drive.

5400 will be worth it. I worry about heat in your unit since it's one of the P4 units. I strongly suggest an cleaning of the heatsinks and a laptop cooling pad.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by kmueller44 / January 4, 2007 2:24 AM PST

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you would go with a 5400RPM over a 7200?

I have already run into overheating issues with this machine, thank goodness it had some sort of safety measures built in since it would shut down before any harm was caused. I have since purchased cans of air and a cooling pad. I have yet to have any overheating issues since.

The first time I used the compressed air and blew it through the vents, there were large clumps of dust, cat hair, even some little flower buds (no idea where those came from) coming out. Obviously that was the main cause of my overheating issues, but I purchaced the cooling pad for an extra measure. It could probably still use a full professional cleaning I suppose.

Collapse -
That's why I give the nod to 5400 RPM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The 7200 RPM drives usually produce much more heat. Cleaning the P4 laptops is not optional. They tend to overheat unless clean.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?