Question

Upgrading My HP ENVY h8-1513c

Thanks for the help in advance!

I have assembled a couple barebone kits before, but I am a bit ignorant about this stuff. Typically use my computer for games, I play a lot of Kerbal Space Program and would also love to get a VR set up someday.

I have a HP ENVY h8-1513c, https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c03635878 , Its been a really good system for me, but I was finally looking to upgrade. I originally thought I was going to get a brand new set up. However after a little browsing I dont think I can do a whole lot better on a budget ( $1k or less). So now I'm thinking about making some upgrades but am not sure what I should buy.

- I know I need to get a new graphics card, but Im not sure how I'm limited by my power supply or processor. Looks like a I have a PCI Express x16 Gen 3.0 slot. Does this mean that I am limited to a DDR3 card? Does anyone have any good recommendations for around $300

- I was also thinking I need to get a SSD to install my games onto, only a couple hundred gig's or so

- I dont think I need to get any more memory, I dont think its ever been a bottleneck for me

- I've never overclocked before, but I would consider getting a liquid cooler and trying it. I play a lot of KSP so I think more processing power would be the biggest benefit.

I would really appreciate links to products that would be a good upgrade and compatible with my system. Thanks so much for the help and advice!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrading My HP ENVY h8-1513c
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading My HP ENVY h8-1513c
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since CPU ram type does not dictate GPU ram type.

Can I ask why you think you can't use a DDR5 (typical) GPU? I ask because I see this question come up and wonder how folk get this (incorrect) idea.

- Collapse -
That's why I'm asking...

I actually posted this because I in-fact don't know and was looking for advice.

- Collapse -
Still would be interesting to find out

Where folk get the idea from that the RAM used by the CPU has to be the same type as the GPU.

It's an odd idea and many of us want to know where that idea came from. And yes, it's false.

- Collapse -
Answer
Upgrade

Shop for a gtx 1050ti.

If the budget allows bump that up to a gtx 1060 the 6GB model.

The ram type on the gpu is not dependent on any other system parts.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks Bob! Installing a GTX 1060 now!

- Collapse -
Answer
SSD and SSHD

Hi mattjt16, on behalf of the possible purchase of a SSD, we would like to recommend you our Nytro SSD. They are reliable, fast and available in the capacity of your need. Also, we would like to introduce you to our SSHD's the FireCuda, they are optimized for gaming and are a combination of the high capacity of an HDD and the speed of the SSD.
Have fun with your upgraded PC!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

CNET Forums