General discussion

upgrading my computer processor

by popski100 / August 13, 2010 7:17 PM PDT

I'm using dell vostro A860 notebook
-mobile intel 965 express chipset family
-vista home 32- bit
-processor intel celeron 2.13 ghz
-1g RAM

However, I would like to upgrade my processor to any core 2 duo but I'm not very sure about the compactibility issues. Which processors can I use? Can I use intel T5870? I need help. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrading my computer processor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrading my computer processor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ram
by SvenStation / August 14, 2010 12:23 PM PDT

I would see if you can fit any more ram in it.
Sometimes a computer will handle more ram than
the manufacturer says it will. Upgrading the cpu
in a laptop is rather tedious and probably too expensive
to make it worthwhile.

Collapse -
cpu upgrade
by popski100 / August 14, 2010 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ram

Thanks a lot. It has additional memory slot which I'm going to upgrade to 3g. My only concern is the cpu compactibility. The fixing of the processor is not a problem. I will buy a new laptop but not now that's why I need a slight upgrade.

Collapse -
ram
by SvenStation / August 15, 2010 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu upgrade
Collapse -
upgrading computer processer
by andybaber2000 / August 15, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

Since you have Intel I would suggest you go to their website with all the info you have on your CPU and socket. When I checked about my laptop, I could only increase by .1 GHz so was not worth it. Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
upgrade
by popski100 / August 15, 2010 7:48 PM PDT

how do you check for possible upgrade at the intel website

Collapse -
I wouldn't bother
by Jimmy Greystone / August 15, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

I wouldn't bother, because there's a lot more to this than you think.

First off, you'd need to make sure the sockets were the same. Then you'd need to make sure that your laptop's motherboard even supported the CPU you wanted to use, assuming the sockets were the same. Then you'd probably have to try and find some after market heatsink because the faster CPU would put out more heat which would require more aggressive cooling unless you're willing to risk damaging internal components in the system.

The long and short of the whole thing, is that laptops are typically what you see is what you get. Upgrades beyond maybe more RAM and a bigger HDD simply aren't cost effective, they have a number of technical challenges, and ultimately deliver very little tangible benefit.

Collapse -
processor upgrade
by popski100 / August 15, 2010 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't bother

Thanks once again guys. I've seen vostro A860 from dell using the same processor, T5870, I want to use. I mean the same brand as mine. My processor is celeron 560 which uses the P socket like the T5870, and the voltage is almost the same. I don't know yet if both use the same kind of heatsink.

Collapse -
There should be no compatibility issues.
by LucJPatenaude / August 15, 2010 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: processor upgrade

The only differences in them is: The old one has only one(1) core and, the newest one for this notebook machine has two(2) cores onto the same CPU plaque.

Just make sure all of your drivers are updated to this year's quality of programming.

After all that, expect a way faster and way more responsive computing experience, ever.

Good Day to you. Wink

Collapse -
processor
by popski100 / August 16, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

thanks to you all

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!