Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrading machine -AND- RTM to Retail 7

by nine8102 / January 14, 2010 1:40 AM PST

I currently have Windows 7 RTM on my computer. Last summer, I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade when they were having the deals (I got mine for $49 from Sam's Club).

I've been putting off installing the Retail 7 because I want to do some upgrades to the machine and don't want to hassle with the Microsoft Activation over and over again.

So, I'm ready. I've got a new mainboard, two new hard drives, a new solid state boot drive, a new blu-ray drive and some more memory.

I suppose I could set up the machine, re-install Vista and move to the Retail 7 from there...but I feel I'm missing something. Of course, I'd like to do a clean install of the Retail 7, but not sure that's 'allowed' by MS.

Here's what I'm thinking: Just install all the components under the existing RTM and start it up, no matter how wobbly it is, then immediately upgrade to the Retail 7, specifying the new Solid State as the install drive, then go back and clean out the old RTM drive/directories.

Do you think that'll work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading machine -AND- RTM to Retail 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading machine -AND- RTM to Retail 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
install
by jeff_windows_team / January 14, 2010 1:42 AM PST

In order to use an upgrade version of Windows 7 you must have a previous version of Vista or XP installed first on the machine. You can still perform a clean installation with this method.

Collapse -
Just for the future
by Jimmy Greystone / January 14, 2010 2:13 AM PST

Just for the future, it's probably not the wisest of ideas to admit on a world wide public forum that you're using pirated software. Do not think for a second that you couldn't be tracked down from this post if the right people/organizations were so motivated.

Collapse -
Pirated Software....
by nine8102 / January 14, 2010 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Just for the future

Um....it's not pirated. I started with the Win7 Beta Program in October or so 2008 and progressed through the versions with TechNet...don't know why there's a need to jump to conclusions...

Collapse -
Because very few
by Jimmy Greystone / January 14, 2010 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Pirated Software....

Because very few people, relatively speaking have TechNet or MSDN subscriptions. And the bulk of those who do, wouldn't need to ask questions like yours. I would expect someone who has TechNet subscription would know that there's no real difference between the RTM and retail versions of any version of Windows ever made, not to mention understand the above facts and not be surprised when someone makes the pretty reasonable assumption you're dealing with an illegal RTM copy.

Collapse -
my main issue...
by nine8102 / January 14, 2010 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Because very few

My main issue was with the MS Activation. I'm the guy who has to call MS to re-activate every time I re-work my system, and I understand that the MS Activation process has been getting more and more strict. I just don't want to squader the few hassle-free activations I have coming to me on the new install.

For the record, I still have in my posession diskettes to install Windows 1, 3.0, 3.11, 95...and CDs for 95, 98, ME, NT3, 2000, and Vista. All legal. I only maintain the TechNet subscription because (as I'm told) I've got more money than sense and a need to early-adopt as early as possible. I'm very computer literate, but more of a hardware guy than software...

Technet is good fot research, but I figured cnet was good for asking pointed questions and getting quick answers.

Collapse -
Fair enough
by Jimmy Greystone / January 14, 2010 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: my main issue...

Fair enough, but I think you can understand my point. You are very much an exception to the rule, which is that everyone who says they have a RTM copy of Windows obtained it illegally. At this point, I think we can drop the whole thing.

If you have a Vista install disc, then it should be a pretty simple matter of starting the Win7 install, popping in the Vista disc when it wants to confirm upgrade eligibility, and you're good to go. I'd do this AFTER you've performed all of the hardware changes. Or you could do all the hardware changes now, and you should have like 3 days to test things out before you are required to reactivate. That should give you some time to test to make sure everything is working properly before you blow it all away and start fresh.

Collapse -
Thank you
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 14, 2010 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Fair enough

Jimmy,

Thank you for pointing out that this is a national forum and we can only support legal versions of Microsoft Windows. For people with questions about the authenticity of their Windows 7 I suggest visiting the Genuine Windows site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/genuine.

Cheers,
Tara

Collapse -
The sad thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 2:15 AM PST

Is that some "RTM" Windows 7 pirate version is making the rounds. I'd never write you have that but tell EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE to avoid this issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?