Laptops forum

General discussion

Upgrading Laptop CPU

by enderbugs / June 30, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

I'm thinking about buying the Gateway P-6860FX laptop from Best Buy. I like everything about this laptop except the processor. It is an Intel Dual Core 2 T5550 running at 1.83 Ghz. Is there a possibility that I could upgrade the processor later or have someone do it for me? Also, what is the maximum processor it can be upgraded to?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Laptop CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Laptop CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You must be thinking about desktops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading Laptop CPU

Laptops are usually not upgraded since you can't improve cooling, power supply or find a BIOS that will assuredly support your CPU. This question is mostly from desktop builders and owners.
Bob

Collapse -
Ummm, no
by enderbugs / June 30, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

I've actually have heard of doing this before and I know it's tricky, which is why I've posted regarding a little more info. Yes, I know the difference between desktops and laptops and their subsequent processors. Does anyone know anything more regarding this.

Collapse -
Then the only time to do this is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Ummm, no

When someone writes they did it. However there is no warranty and no support here. Is that OK for most users? No.

Collapse -
Here's proof
by enderbugs / June 30, 2008 2:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not under dispute
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's proof

It's just rarely done since you can't get the maker to warrant the machine after this plus they won't tell you which are compatible.

Then we have the costs. How much for that CPU?
Bob

Collapse -
Not Sure
by enderbugs / July 2, 2008 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Not under dispute

I'm not terribly sure, but if it's between $300-$500, which I think it is- at least for some of the models that would be better than the T5550, then the laptop still only costs $1600 at the most and with all the specs under the hood, that's an extremely good deal. Of course, if it for some reason doesn't work or just flat out fails...

Collapse -
Do it sooner than later
by Steven Haninger / June 30, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

Just order the laptop in the configuration you prefer and you'll save plenty by not having to toss out perfectly good parts.

Collapse -
That would work
by enderbugs / June 30, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

if you had the available money at the time. While I understand your point, this laptop, at $1100, is a really good deal. The only part that took a hit to get it at this price point was the cpu. Also, this is the best configuration from Best Buy and Gateway just took down the FX series laptops from their website. I don't think they're rolling out a new line because they just came out with new models back in May, unless someone proves me wrong.

Collapse -
T5550 processor
by Phil Crase / June 30, 2008 11:51 PM PDT

Nothing wrong with the processor for all practical purposes, depends on what you have in mind to do. If you want a really trick hotshot laptop, check out ALIENWARE but get your checkbook out.

Collapse -
Unsure about them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: T5550 processor

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!