PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading: Is The Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB Good 4 RAID

by champmanfan / June 12, 2005 5:15 AM PDT

I'm a newbie to setting up RAID and need help.

I current using a MS 6741 motherboard with capabilities for SATA RAID and I think I have found the best drive (speed+size+quiet+price) for my gaming rig. I've read Toms Hardware review for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB SATA and it looks a good choice but I need another opinion, please!

I was having huge doubts over the speed potiental of SATA compared to my current 2x200GB IDE hard drives. They are Western Digital Caviar WD20000 BB-98DWAO. Using HD Tach 3.0.1.0 I got the following benchmark results: random access 13.8, CPU utilization 2%, average read 40.6Mb/s, burst speed 77.3Mb/s.

I read a bit about SATA, but if someone could run HD Tach on their SATA RAID-0 system and post their results, i'll see what the differences are. The Barracuda 7200.8 had a burst speed of 126Mb/s with NCQ disabled, although the reviewer didn't mention if this test was based on a RAID-0 system.

Is a MS 6741 motherboard easy to set up RAID and what essential steps should I take?

I've found the best price of a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB to be at ebuyer.com of just

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading: Is The Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB Good 4 RAID
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading: Is The Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB Good 4 RAID
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Think This DiamondMax 10 SATA Is Better!

My mate has just convinced my to get the "Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA 16MB 7200RPM NCQ" because it's really fast, only

Collapse -
That's interesting....
by CRABBYCANCER1977 / January 21, 2008 6:29 PM PST

...because Seagate just bought Maxtor...maybe they'll look inside the Maxtor's and see why they're so much quieter...lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.