Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrading Hard Drive on my Dell Inspirion e1505

by mrmexican87 / March 1, 2008 10:21 AM PST

I was wondering if someone could help me out and steer me in the right direction. I am looking to upgrade my laptop's hard drive because I use my laptop as a DVR and Media Center tends to fill up the hard drive space quickly. I was looking around 250gb, but the problem I'm running into is making sure it's going to be compatible and fit in my e1505.

I was also wondering how or if I should transfer the data over. I have been wanting to reformat my hard drive, mainly for small errors that it has going on. I was thinking about buying the Apricorn EZ Transfer kit to help with that, but which one do I get. I think there is a SATA version and an Universal one.

Also, if you can give me links on places to find good prices on hard drives, I would appreciate that too. I have been checking pricewatch.com.

I haven't really decided on a brand yet simply because everyone has their own opinion. The hard drive I have been looking at is a western digital, but my external My Book recently died, so I'm not to sure if I trust them.

Any help or info is welcomed!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Hard Drive on my Dell Inspirion e1505
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Hard Drive on my Dell Inspirion e1505
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Avoid.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 10:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Oops
by mrmexican87 / March 1, 2008 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Avoid.

I probably should have checked there first.

Is there anyway to upgrade the BIOS or would that not do anything?

Collapse -
Since it is a Dell ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 1, 2008 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Oops

make use of the service tag and locate any BIOs updates and read what they were updated to solve.

I do have a 160 GB installed in an old Latitude but they did have a BIOS upgrade that made it functional.

You might consider contacting these people as they indicate that they have a 320 GB SATA drive that works with the E1505 - they could likely also tell you if a BIOs update is necessary (you should know the BIOS version you currently have and the latest version is A15)
http://www.drivesolutions.com/upgrade/dell.shtml

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?