PC Hardware forum

Upgrading Hard Drive

by lilikoi808 / August 25, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

I'm new and uninformed Happy I have been doing research online to figure out which hard drive would be best for me to upgrade to but the information out there is kind of confusing to me. I had a Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.11 3/Gb SATA/300 but it died and I'd like to upgrade to a larger capacity hard drive maybe Seagate Barracuda 750GB. The thing that confuses me is that the Seagate 750GB is a SATA/600. Will it be compatible with the system I have? Basically, can a SATA/600 fit where a SATA/300 used to be? I would appreciate any help and or suggestions.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading Hard Drive

So far I have had no issue with using SATA 600 drives on any machine. There is no difference in the connectors so if the rest of the mechanicals are OK then you're fine.

It's odd to see drives die in our office. Is there some reason you can think of for the early death?

Collapse -
Upgrading Hard Drive
by lilikoi808 / August 25, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Should be fine.

Thanks so much for your input. I can go ahead and order my new drive with a little more confidence now. The drive was a workhorse for me and lived a long and happy life of 3 years in our home until my two teenage boys discovered the joys of online gaming. After that, despite my best efforts, it was one virus after another and constant abuse of the poor computer until it finally gave up the ghost. Since then of course I got another computer for the kids who are now more responsible computer users and I just thought I might resurrect the old desktop for my own use.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?