Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional

by athabaska29 / February 9, 2004 8:51 AM PST

I'm attempting to update from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional.
When I insert the XP CD and click on "check system compatibility" I receive the following message "Windows XP setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Setup cannot continue."
Can anyone please advise how I can solve this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional
Collapse -
Which Windows 2000 Professional?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2004 11:53 PM PST

There are a few varients that might not "qualify." I am not an expert in this area but will note OEM, MSDN, Developer, Trial versions of Windows 2000 Pro do exist and may cause upgrade glitches like this.

Bob

Collapse -
Did you ever resolve the issue?
by jvenette / December 30, 2007 5:20 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I have a Compaq Evo Pentium 4 with 2000 Pro. I am trying to upgrade to XP Pro with the exact same problem. I am using XP Pro Setup disk. (Windows XP setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to Microsoft XP Professional. Setup cannot continue.)

Collapse -
The little details can help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 5:37 AM PST

What version of 2000 is this? Look at your 2000 CD to find out.

Also tell the exact version of XP since those OEM versions can't do this either.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: 2000 and XP Versions?
by jvenette / December 30, 2007 7:08 AM PST

I don't have the 2000 Pro CD. This is because I purchased the computer with Windows 2000 Pro already installed. But the PC has a license for XP Pro. My XP Professional CD is Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

Collapse -
Then there would be no issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 7:10 AM PST

But let's say your XP Professional CD is Version 2002 Service Pack 1 but an OEM version. You didn't tell if it came in that nice retail box but it's a safe bet it didn't.

Bob

Collapse -
Now I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 7:20 AM PST

"I don't have the 2000 Pro CD. This is because I purchased the computer with Windows 2000 Pro already installed."

I did see some REFURBS hit the market with Windows 2000 preinstalled. Many used those NFR (not for resale) licenses which can't be upgraded. Since you have neither the restore CD or the Windows 2000 CD my bet is you got one of those. Or your XP Pro is not the retail version.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP Pro OEM or not?
by jvenette / December 30, 2007 7:24 AM PST

How can I tell if it is an OEM Version or not? This CD came with a custom PC I had built for me. The PC is not working...May not fix it either...But it is the shiny gold CD and, you know it does say "for distribution with a new PC only". Even if it is OEM, why can't I use it to upgrade this PC with a license key for XP Pro?

Collapse -
BINGO!!! That is an OEM version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 7:27 AM PST

"for distribution with a new PC only".

That version has NEVER had the capability of performing an upgrade. Thanks for sharing that since it was a mystery until you shared the magic phrase.

You can use the XP Pro Full Retail or the "Upgrade" versions to upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro but never the OEM or "for distribution with a new PC only" disks or even the XP Home version.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by jvenette / December 30, 2007 7:35 AM PST

Thanks for the feedback. Could I do a clean install with the OEM cd?

Collapse -
Yes. But be sure to run Belarc Advisor
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

And print the report. This is a good time to note what motherboard chipset is used, sound card make, model, video card make, model since after you start the clean install all that is found with visual inspections (for most of us.)

Bob

Collapse -
Re: upgrading
by Kees Bakker / December 30, 2007 5:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Did I Contact Microsoft?
by jvenette / December 30, 2007 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re: upgrading

Yes I did, and they told me to contact Compaq (said it could be a hardware conflict). HP says to order Restore CD. Passing the Buck!!

Everything I have read says it should be painless.

Collapse -
That explains why Microsoft can't help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 7:28 AM PST

You don't own the retail version. The "for distribution with a new PC only" is not supported by Microsoft.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.