Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrading from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro...

I want to upgrade our Win2KPro to XP Pro without losing our programs and files.

What is the cheapest LEGAL upgrade version I can buy?

I do not qualify for Academic Versions.

Are there OEM Upgrade versions that will work?

Any leads are appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NO

In reply to: Upgrading from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro...

OEM will not upgrade.

Online XP Pro Upgrade runs around 200.00

Collapse -
Get Linux then!

Get linux if Win XP Pro is too expensive! I want to use linux some day...

Collapse -
Get makin' sure....

In reply to: Get Linux then!

I don't want to miss out on a better deal if it's out there to be had. I can get cheap bootleg copies but I would rather be legal or should I say that I am going to be legal, regardless.

I've found legit copies from reputable e-tailers for around $175... sounds like that might be as good as it gonna get.

Collapse -
reputable e-tailers for around $175..

In reply to: Get makin' sure....

Yes this is about as good as it gets. Now keep in mind that if you have a problems with this version you can call MS for support. If you get an OEM version you are on your own MS will not talk to you. John

Collapse -
Windows XP Pro "Upgrade".

The OEM version is for the full version, not an upgrade. And your economical path.

Can I ask why you would do this? I finally have "1" program on my list that won't run in 2000 Pro. Your reason?

There is NEVER an assurance that programs and files will not go missing. I'm always amazed when I read such a request since... hard disks are less than 100% reliable and you are going to do major OS surgery.

Bob

Collapse -
This is why...

In reply to: Windows XP Pro "Upgrade".

We have 3 other new computers in our office that we are installing with XP Pro. My computer is the only one that will remain and it has 2K Pro. I have XP at home on one of our computers and we like it better than 2K Pro, especially now that SP2 is out with the added Internet features and security features. I'm still using Adsubtract for my pop-up blocker and it's a pain when I want to see a pop-up on a site. XP pop-up blocker is far superior IMO and experience thus far. I took my wife's XP computer away from her to give to our daughter and she got another 2K Pro computer we had... now she wants XP back and our daughter doesn't want to give it up. The wife's computer is a better built system so I'll let the daughter keep hers and upgrade the wife's. There are various other reasons and also things we like about XP as well... I won't go into all of them.

As far as upgrading is concerned... I want to save my Microsoft Office Small Business, our finance and accounting software for our office (which is a bull to reload) and I have several other applications that I'd just rather keep on the computer and not have to reload them... just makes life easier.

I have just learned from our local PC store that I can upgrade using the Full Version as they have done it on several occasions for other clients. He made me a rather good deal on a pair... one for my office computer and one for that last home computer still on 2K Pro.

Collapse -
It's not a sure thing.

In reply to: This is why...

The lesson here is shared by many. Plan for the worst, and you'll be ready.

Bob

Collapse -
Go Here for OEM version

TigerDirect.com $140 full version remember to backup your data. XP has trouble talking to W2K machines. Can't remember what the install will do existing data and file structures. Maybe someone here knows?

Jack

Collapse -
I think I'll be okay...

In reply to: Go Here for OEM version

The local PC store are friends and they stated if I have any problems they will help... but they state they have done several upgrades with absolutely no problems.

Maybe I'll get lucky!

Collapse -
Maybe I WILL NOT get lucky!!!

In reply to: I think I'll be okay...

Huh... so much for what the local PC guy knows... first thing that pops up when we tried to load XP is that setup will not upgrade 2K Pro. It will let us continue for a while but then it freezes up.

I'll do a clean install at home since that computer doesn't have all that much stuff on it but at the office I'll trade in the Full Version for an Upgrade Version.

He still claims they have had no problems whatsover with previous installs. Gave me the persons name who has a business with several computers they just upgraded with the same Full Versions and all went smooth. Not sure what's up with my computer but it just didn't work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!