Windows 7 forum

Question

Upgrading From Vista 32 Bit To Windows 7 64bit.

by minixmatt / July 28, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

To start this off i am not a computer major and don't understand most of the stuff. The reason on why i want to upgrade from a 32 bit to 64bit is because i have some extra ram that is not being used. Also i want my computer to be a little bit better when playing my games. Could you tell me if my computer would work on 64 bit?

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 GHz
Memory(RAM) : 4.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating system
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce G100
64-bit capable Yes
Model : Aspire M5700

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading From Vista 32 Bit To Windows 7 64bit.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading From Vista 32 Bit To Windows 7 64bit.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It Should Probably Work But, It Involves a Full Reinstall
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 9:13 AM PDT

When you go from 32 bit to 64 bit, you'll need to use the Windows 7 disc to eliminate the old partition, format the new partition, then install the operating system. Once that's done, you'll also need to install ALL of the correct hardware drivers compatible with the current hardware and the new operating system..

It's usually a chore to find the new drivers for all the computer hardware and it must be done BEFORE you install the new system. Be sure to find, download, and save all those drivers to a disc before removing the old operating system. Using Device Manager while Vista is still installed will allow you to write down all the correct driver manufacturers and version numbers before they're gone.. Should you have any problem finding the correct drivers for Windows 7, or if the ones you thought would work don't, at least you can look at the Vista drivers for reference.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I didn't know
by Daviddude / July 28, 2011 11:40 AM PDT

that a 32 bit hardware could handle a 64 bit operating system.

Collapse -
See Link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: I didn't know
Collapse -
Question
by minixmatt / July 28, 2011 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: See Link.

So will i need to buy the complete Windows 7 disc or just the upgrade. Just double checking. Also will the program Windows 7 upgrade advisor help me upgrade all of my drivers?

Collapse -
It is a full installation
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

because you will be going from 32 bit to 64 bit, and that means a complete new installation.

There is no upgrade path from 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS. To be clear, you need a Full Windows 7 Setup DVD.

The Microsoft Upgrade Advisor will certainly help point out problems, but it will not find drivers for you. In any case we never use Microsoft to find and install drivers as that is the one thing it doesn't do well.

As Grif says, the best way is to use the Device Manager whilst Vista is still working to make a manual list of all the hardware, then go to each manufacturer's web site to find and download those Win 7 compatible drivers.

Of course, if this is a manufacturer system, eg Dell, HP or so on, the computer manufacturer's own web site may already have all the drivers required for the new 64 bit Windows 7. For example, with a Dell we could visit the Dell web site, input the Service Tag number, and find what drivers are available that way.

I see this is an Acer Aspire desktop, so http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=1019 may help.

Mark

Collapse -
Last Question (Let's Hope)
by minixmatt / July 29, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

So lets say i have downloaded all the divers I needed and was ready to convert. I would insert the 64 bit disc of windows 7 and hit "custom" install or normal?

Collapse -
Difficult to say
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

It depends on your own knowledge of computers. I can't be relied upon to give a full answer because I have only installed a half dozen times or so in all the years I have been using Windows, so my knowledge is limited.

However, I now feel comfortable selecting Custom, because then I can step through each option offered to me during the install procedure and decide whether to accept or deny. You will find that, navigating through a custom install, if you accept everything offered then that is equivalent to a full install anyway, so I am not sure much can go wrong. I would say, if in doubt, accept it. If you refuse an option and find that the resulting OS suffers in some way, then correcting that can be a pain.

One thing to watch out for...

You need to decide now what is going to happen to the Vista installation. It will not be upgraded, but it could be left where it is if you are not careful. That would make this a Dual Boot option, ie; you will see a menu when you boot up the computer asking you whether you want to load Vista or Windows 7. The Windows 7 setup routine will have created a new partition on the hard drive and installed Win 7 on that new partition.

That could be interesting if you want that. Vista and Win 7 will happily reside next to each other on separate partitions and will not interfere with each other.

But if you don't want that, then watch the setup procedure carefully, It will ask you if you want to delete any existing partitions.Say yes. Then the setup procedure should ask if you want to format the disk. Say yes to that and a quick format should be sufficient.

There are plenty of "How to's" on the internet, eg How to install Windows 7, like this one;
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139824/Windows_7_installation_how_to_step_by_step

Remember, Back Up all your personal files from Vista before starting this, otherwise you might lose them all.

Mark

Collapse -
Please
by minixmatt / July 29, 2011 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Difficult to say

Can some one find a very simple tutorial on how to install it. Most of them have alot of computer terms that confuse me.

Collapse -
Try this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Please
Collapse -
Answer
Have you checked the Acer Support website?
by BlackBart1955 / July 30, 2011 3:58 PM PDT
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If that doesn't work, then go to http://us.acer.com/en/US/ click on the Support button, then click on Downloads, and take it from there.

You will have to put in the complete model number.

You did not give us the model number, so I couldn't find out for you. You wrote that it was M5700, but there is no such thing.

Thinking that you meant the 5700 series, I checked the 5710, 5710G, 5710Z, and the 5710ZG and none of those have drivers for the Windows 7, so if you have one of those, I would say it may not work with Windows 7, or they would have drivers for them.

However, the next one down was the 5715Z and that does have Windows 7 drivers, so if you have that one, then you could probably install Windows 7 on it.

That is all I checked. I don't know your correct model, so I couldn't do anymore checking for you. You will have to do that.

What if you have a model that doesn't have the Windows 7 drivers? Could you run Windows 7 on it anyway? The answer is probably yes---but-- your components may not work unless you can find Windows 7 drivers to make them work--or replace each of the affected components with ones that do support Windows 7.

On the other hand, you may not have any affected components, because maybe the Vista drivers that you already have are enough--provided that you install it as an Upgrade rather than a clean installation, or if you do that, then try downloading the Vista drivers and see if they do work.

What are the affected components? Again, I cannot answer that. Only you would be able to tell, after you install Windows 7 and check the Device Manager, to see which ones are not working.

~ Barry
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.