General discussion

Upgrading from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit

I have the win 7 upgrade package and would like to go from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win 7. At the same time I am wanting to upgrade my hard drive to a 500 GB. I used Acronis to make an image of my current HD to a WD external drive. If I install Vista on my new HD, upgrade to Win 7 will I be able to restore from the external drive? What is the best way for me to accomplish this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrading from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Define RESTORE.

While I've cloned drives many times Acronis has more than a few options so you would have to write in detail both what your definition of restore is as well as what you did with Acronis.

Yes, I don't use acronis any longer. Just simple copies and of course CLONEZILLA for cloning and images.
Bob

- Collapse -
It won't work

It won't work. There is no way around the fact that to go from a 32 to 64-bit OS you MUST reinstall. You pretty much wasted your time with the image you just made.

- Collapse -
Agreed.
- Collapse -
Vista-32 to 7-64

It's still good to have an image of the old system in case something goes wrong with the installation and you can't get 7-64 to work, or you decide that 7-64 is not for you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info