Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???

I few days ago I built a new comp and bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade to finish off my new computer. I had Windows XP which is an exceptable upgrade to Vista according to Micrsofts website. For some reason when ever I put in the Windows Vista 64 bit DVD I get an error saying

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check System Information to see if you need 32 or 64 bit version of this program.

After that I tried doing a clean install by booting it from the DVD it woud check files then go to the blue screen and sit at the blue screen but blank. I let it sit at that screen for hours but it never did anything. So frustrated I put in the 32 bit of Vista Ultimate and it installed without a hitch. My comps running vista ultimate 32 with out problems but I really wanted to bump it up to 64 but even with Vista Ultimate 32 installed its STILL saying not compatible OS to run upgrade, it makes no sense. And yes my comp is able to run 64. I have to say that cause I know 50 people will ask if my system is 64 capable. And yes accordin to Microsofts website vista 32 is a compatible OS to upgrade to 64. So going back to XP will do nothing. Any suggests would be helpful thnx in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista 64bit

In reply to: Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???

Collapse -
Vista 64

In reply to: Vista 64bit

Ok well that contradicts what I read on another of microsofts sites but the fact of the matter is I tried a clean install 10 times and every time it gets to the blue screen it sits there with no text or nothing asking to install.

Collapse -
Let me summarize.

In reply to: Vista 64

1. The computer you built is able to run a 64 bit OS.
2. A 32 bit version of Vista is able to be installed.
3. A 64 bit version of Vista can't be installed, the setup just hangs.

The only conclusion:
Either #1 isn't true, or the install DVD is damaged.

Jees

Collapse -
Not damaged CD

In reply to: Let me summarize.

Ohh and its not the CD cause my brother also has Vista Ultimate 64 on his comp so I tried using his to install it then put in my CD but that did the same exact thing.

Collapse -
Just so you know.

In reply to: Not damaged CD

There are some machines out there that the BIOS is not ready for Vista.

Also I've run into machines that load one, two, this one, that other, but not all OSes from a collection of XP, Gentoo, Knoppix, Vista (32, 64), Windows 98se, DOS, Ubuntu and more.

Do not despair. If you have a factory made Vista DVD and it doesn't load on your machine, check with the machine's maker and get them to show you installing.
Bob

Collapse -
A small problem.

In reply to: Just so you know.

He's the maker himself, if I interpret his post right ("I few days ago I built a new comp").

Do you suggest he updates the BIOS in his new ASUS P5N-D Motherboard?

Collapse -
Mirror mirror on the wall.

In reply to: A small problem.

Yes. A new motherboard can have an outdated BIOS. These boards usually are made then float across the oceans, sit in warehouses and some months later are sold, shipped out and time has passed, bugs are found and a new OS with new rules has come on the market.

In short, yes. Check that out. There are dozens of other reasons but the designer, builder must accept the responsibility today.
Bob

Collapse -
Different kind of upgrade

In reply to: Vista 64

You're thinking of a different kind of upgrade. You're thinking in terms of whether the license allows for it, which it does, and the other person was referring to the technical process of upgrading software, which requires a clean install.

Anyway, I think the summary already posted seems to do exactly what it should, and sum things up. So why not let us in on what processor you chose for this new system? And just to speed things along, if it's not a Core 2 Duo/Quad or Athlon64, odds are very slim it's actually capable of running a 64-bit OS. Some Pentium 4s did support EMT64, but it's kind of a case by case basis with those.

Collapse -
My Specs

In reply to: Different kind of upgrade

I have

Intel Core Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Corsair PC 6400 DDR2 2024MB 800MHz X2 for a total of 4G of RAM
ASUS P5N-D Motherboard

I don't think I missed anyhting.

Collapse -
Installing Vista 64

I don't know how closely these are related however this is my experience. I had xp loaded on a test disk and decided to use it for beta testing the new windows 7. Trying to install 7 onto the disk I got the exact notice you got about wrong version etc. What I ended up having to do was to completely removing the partition on the disk and starting from scratch as though the disk had never been used. After doing this there was no problem installing windows 7. But, like I said, I don't know if the Vista installation is similar to the Windows 7, but suspect it is. I would try that first.

Collapse -
Re Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???

Just reformat and do a clean install should work just fine

Collapse -
Try a new disk?

In reply to: Re Upgrading from Vista 32 - 64 bit not combatible???

Rather than reformating and loosing all your data amd settings - why not just buy a new disk and try to install onto it. Disks are cheap these days so it makes sense to keep the old OS disk for a while until you are sure there is nothing left on it which you need.
During the instal - I'd remove the original HD (and any others) to make sure Vista doesn't try to over-write it.

Collapse -
Re Try a new disk?

In reply to: Try a new disk?

If you know anything about windows it will put your old files into a file called old windows

Collapse -
HD

In reply to: Try a new disk?

Thanks for the idea I will try that out probly this weekend since I got the next few days off and just my new 1 TB SATA HD

Collapse -
Solution

In reply to: HD

After trying dozens of diffrent things even some crazy sounding things like tapping F5 or Num Lock repeatedly I had given up for awhile. The other day I bought a new LG SATA Blue-Ray player for my comp. I thought what the hell lets try this one more time on my new blue ray player and what do you know it worked this time. The thing I find funny tho is the fact that my other DVD drive was a Sony and it didn't want to work for microsoft go figure ><

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.