Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0

Dear Sirs/Mesdames,

I run xp pro. I use IE5.1 browser. I Wish to Acquire IE6.0. I wish to know the following :-
(1) Do I unstall IE5.1 before install IE6.0? or
(2) Do I just install IE6.0?
(3) Does IE6.0 come with the required service pack and updates? or Will I have to have the same updated?
(4) Will I have to back up o/s and all files before installing IE6.0?
Kindly advise with respect to the above and/or to any other things I may have to do.
Again I am qite new to computers and really need the help. because I want to have in particular zoom in and out buttons on the IE tool bar.
Thanking you.
Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE6

In reply to: Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0

Just go to windows update and let it do the work for you - the older IE5 version will be backed up - It may give you the option but if I were you I would select.
The latest version I think has SP1 included, but once you have installed IE6 SP1 you will have to go back to windows update to install the latest SP2 updates. Before doing the above do a systems restore point although I think windows update will initiate one as well.
Peter

Collapse -
One other thing

In reply to: IE6

When you use windows update it will first download the setup program which is about 500kb - This setup program will connect you to the IE6 download site - you will be given the option of "express" or "custom" installation. This allows you to only download the components of IE6 that you need. Hence the size of IE6 can range from about 20Mb to 40Mb depending on your requirement - It maybe best in your case to use the express setup - you can always download other components later by selecting IE6 in the add/remove program section.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0

I don't understand how you're using IE 5.1 with Windows XP Pro since Windows XP Pro comes packaged with IE 6.0. Please explain.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thought it was only XP SP1 that came with IE6?

In reply to: Re: Upgrading from IE 5.1 to 6.0

Or am I getting confused with "windows activation"???
Peter

Collapse -
Neither

In reply to: Thought it was only XP SP1 that came with IE6?

XP shipped with IE6, XP with SP1 or SP2 would just include additional patches to IE6 that were released since then.

And activation has always been a part of XP as well. The whole concept debuted with XP.

Collapse -
I'll try again - the grey matter is getting greyer

In reply to: Neither

the full 5X5 digit activation key number was introduce with SP1- am i right this time!
Peter

Collapse -
No

In reply to: I'll try again - the grey matter is getting greyer

The activation method hasn't changed since XP was released. It'd be too much of an administrative headache.

SP2 did alter the re-activation behavior, giving you a 3 day grace period before being locked out of the system until you activate, but that's it.

Collapse -
Yes!!!!!!!

In reply to: No

Quote from this link:-
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_xpsp1.mspx
Regards,
Peter
---------------------
Raising the bar on pirates
Product key inclusion in Installation ID for activation
In order to protect customers and Microsoft against product key attacks, the product key used to install Windows will be included in the Installation ID for all activations completed after SP1 has been installed. Internet activations will send the entire product key while telephone activations will send a hash value of the product key in order to limit the increase in size of the telephone Installation ID..
Repair of activation circumventions
Service Pack 1 for Windows XP will contain fixes to cracks used by software pirates to circumvent activation. Installations of Windows XP patched by a crack will require activation after SP1 has been installed.
---------------------

Collapse -
The activation code was required day one for XP.

In reply to: Yes!!!!!!!

What you are reading about is things that MS did when they found that people had found ways around it. They then added some safeguards and with SP2 you won't be able to download updates without going through another verification process. Still optional at this time but I used it to get the code.

Actually Office XP used product activation before XP was released.

Collapse -
But but!

In reply to: The activation code was required day one for XP.

Ray,
It was only after SP1 that the "Full" 5X5 product key registration number was "transmitted" - this was my point. And as you say it was to check for pirate copies.
Now correct me if I am wrong (which I am sure you all will do! lol) but I have deduced that prior to SP1 that only the first part(s) of the product key was transmitted as a means of speeding up the process (ie cutting corners), which effectively meant individual copies were not being identified and recorded. The authors of the pirate copies found out about this loop hole and therefore produced product key numbers that would fool activation. But the pirates also slip streamed their process (ie cut corners) and didn't vary the key numbers used - Micro$oft became aware of this and thus used SP1 to identify these pirate keys. If identified the owner would then be required to "re-activate" in 3 days, effectively forcing them to obtain a legal copy or be locked out!
Am I right or am I right!!!!!
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
You can't be

As someone else explained, XP comes with IE6, so there's no way you could be using IE5. I think Win2K was the last one to come with IE5 (IIRC, Win98SE still had IE4, WinMe has IE6).

But you shouldn't be using IE anyway. It's a security risk. Mostly due to the increasing threat of spyware, but there are other exploits for it as well MS tends to take its sweet time fixing. Using something like Mozilla Firefox renders you immune to new spyware infestations that come in via the browser, since to date, there's been maybe one proof of concept spyware Firefox extension made. Everyone's still targeting IE.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.