Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

upgrading from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010 - 2 macro questions

Hi,

I am being upgraded to the new(er) version of Excel, and there are two things I can not imediately see how to do.

The first involves macros, I use a lot of spreadsheets containing macros, and sometimes I want them to run, sometimes I don't.

In excel 2003, this is really simple, I just use Tools / Macro Security / High ( or Low) as needed.

How can I achieve this in the 2010 version?

Secondly, I have a number of macro's I use all the time, saved in my Personal.xls file.

In Excel 2003, I added a custom menu, and added custom menu items to the drop down list, and assigned macros to these.

How can I replicate this in Excel 2010 ?

Many thanks

Robert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrading from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010 - 2 macro questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrading from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010 - 2 macro questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Couple of links.

In reply to: upgrading from Excel 2003 to Excel 2010 - 2 macro questions

Dealing with custom menus first, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but did you add custom menus in Excel 2003 using similar steps to these?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830502

If so, then in Excel 2010, use it's Help option to search for Custom Menu bars, and see if that helps. If not, perhaps this will;
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm

Now your first question about Macros. See if this helps; http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-the-macro-security-level-in-excel-2010.html

May I ask? Have you tested all these workbooks in the newer Excel yet? If not may I suggest you make copies of the workbooks first, (using Explorer but not Excel itself), and test the copies. Why? I can't really say because I don't have Excel 2010 myself, but it is different and the VBA may be different. Best to see if the macros transfer over using copies of files first, in case any are stripped out or corrupted. It's only a precaution.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Adding custom Menu

In reply to: Couple of links.

Hi,

In Excel 2003, adding a custom menu does not involve macros. You just right click the toolbar, select customise, select commands, click on new menu from the left hand pane, and drag and drop to the toolbar.

Then you click on Macros in the left hand pane, custom menu item in the right hand pane, and drag and drop into your new menu from step 1.

Repeat as many times as you need items in your menu.

Then you select each new menu item, right click and rename, then right click and asign a macro to it.

I believe but don't know, that in excel 2010, you can't do this directly, but have to write macros to make the same changes listed above.

Re macro security, I have found the answer to that question.

Regards

Robert

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.