Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Upgrading from 5th gen iPod video to iPod Touch...Worth it?

by MAGRS5 / November 9, 2007 5:02 AM PST

I have had a 30gb. iPod video for about 2 years now, and recently my family member bought an iPhone. I love the iPhone's touch screen and iPod interface. I want one so badly, but the only problem is that there's no way that I'm spending $60 a month for the service. That is why I became interested in the iPod Touch. However, I am a bit hesitant on spending that much money on a new iPod since I already have one. Do you think that it is worth it? Has anybody here been in the same situation as me? Also, is there any way that I can make use of my old iPod if I do decide to get the new iPod Touch? Unfortunately I can't sell it since my name is engraved. All opinions are appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from 5th gen iPod video to iPod Touch...Worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from 5th gen iPod video to iPod Touch...Worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ipodstink / November 9, 2007 10:58 AM PST

its not worth it because youll be losing memory and ive heard complaints about the itouches UI so the one you have is better and save your money to buy a MacBookPro if your so into apple

Collapse -
not worth it
by Tainger / November 9, 2007 1:32 PM PST

ITS NOT WORTH IT why get a mp3 player when you have one already only difference is the wifi and some custom apps with less storage space. all you have to do is resist the urge to buy something newer

Collapse -
by arch man / November 12, 2007 3:00 AM PST

I just upgraded from 30gb 5G to 16gb Touch.. I definitly consider it an upgrade. I don't have a laptop so the wifi is incredibly useful. Aside from that, "coverflow" is awesome. It has caused me to organize my music better and appreciate it more. Viewing pics is incredible. My screen is as good as it gets. I WAS NOT in the market for a new iPod... I bought the touch for what it is...not for what it's not. That said, if I owned a laptop, I wouldn't have bought it.

Collapse -
I got your e-mail
by ktreb / November 12, 2007 8:52 AM PST

I'm happy with having both and carry them both around most of the time. It's easy, being a girl who carries a purse. But it may not be that way with you. Which Touch were you planning on getting? Since you only have 4GB of music and are willing to switch out videos, you might end up making it your primary player, having little use for your 5th gen. I got the 8GB Touch knowing that it wouldn't, since my music collection far exceeds even the larger version and I expect it to grow. I also have a 2nd gen Nano that I take to the gym and out walking (just got the Nike+ kit). I will probably end up getting the 160GB Classic at some point, but it's not a priority.

Should you get it? I'm hesitant to give you a definitive yes or no. If you really want it for the reasons that you stated (larger screen, better battery life for video, flash memory, and Touch interface), and don't mind the extra expense of being an early adopter, then yes. If spending all that money is weighing heavily on your mind, then no. Perhaps it would be better to wait for the next version with more capacity. By this time next year or earlier, you could see a 32GB version with better battery life for the same price as this years 16GB. But that's purely speculation.

Collapse -
it depends
by ktreb / November 13, 2007 3:09 AM PST

Funny....yesterday I posted a response to the e-mail you sent me through CNET and it was deleted. Oh well.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of music and you're willing to switch videos out. So it is possible that the Touch could be your primary player and you may not find much use for your 5th gen (you could use it as an external hd). Which capacity were you planning on getting? I got the 8GB knowing that it would not be my primary player. My music collection far exceeds even the 16 GB. And I carry both, easy for me since I carry a purse. I'm happy having both. I also have a 2nd gen Nano for walking and working out - just got the Nike+ kit.

Should you get it? If you're getting it for the reasons you stated in your message (larger screen, flash memory, better battery life for video, touch interface) and don't mind spending the extra bucks to be an early adopter, then yes. If you think you're going to suffer buyer's remorse, then no.

Collapse -
That was weird...
by ktreb / November 13, 2007 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: it depends

I was at work when I posted last and I couldn't see the post I did yesterday. So I thought it was deleted. I'm at home now and I can see it. Oops!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?