General discussion

upgrading Firefox on Linux

OK, the wife has an Acer Aspire One, mini laptop or netbook. It has Mozilla Firefox on it but needs upgrading. I went to the Mozilla website to download the upgrade, from Firefox 2.0.0.14 to Firefox 3.5. However, the files appear to be downloaded somewhere, I assume to be actioned, but I haven't a clue what to do. Unlike windows, the files won't just install. Can't make any sense on the Mozilla help pages. Is there a link or something to the instructions as to what to do, how to install the new version? I have no problem with windows programs but never doen anything in Linux. Successfully installed a one gig memory upgrade but thats as far as I've gone.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: upgrading Firefox on Linux
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: upgrading Firefox on Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
In ubuntu karmic..

update manager updated for me. Dan

- Collapse -
update

can't even find that on the system. Used Live update to download loads of other stuff. Don't know why the browser hasn't been upgraded whilst she's had it.

- Collapse -
Click on System on the top panel...

than Administration. It should be in that list. Dan

- Collapse -
Build from source

Download the source, go to the forums dedicated to the distribution you are using, and follow the directions.

- Collapse -
oh hard way

Better live with 2.x Happy
---
Firefox should be updated AUTOMATICALLY with system updates or regular distribution upgrades where is no need to do something for you separately. If you have old FF or old other program it means you do not do updates/upgrades.

- Collapse -
I do the update manager..

everyday but it would never update sea monkey. Finally I had to go to sourceforge and install it that way. Dan

- Collapse -
Sea monkey

Sea monkey not very popular if some poking will happen in distribution bugzilla I guess they update it more often too.

- Collapse -
Not popular but...

Perhaps is not very popular but... is the same as Firefox with the exception that is a full blown suite. I has E-Mail, Web Editor, Chat and many other features integrated.

Think of Firefox, with T-Bird, chat, html editor and much more all bundle up on one browser.

The only problem is, some sites interrogate the browser even that is just like Firefox and computers been dumb, does not display the page saying that will not work.

- Collapse -
Using Linpus?

I guess you're using Linpus Light, that came with the Aspire One netbook?

There should be a 32-bit download on the Mozilla website for Firefox on Linux. Unzip the archive and double-click on the "firefox" icon inside to start the program.

- Collapse -
Eh Linpus * IMO

download other. Silly

- Collapse -
This old thread is now closed.

Please start anew if need be.

CNET Forums