General discussion

Upgrading Dell Studio 540 Desktop

Hi all

I have had my Dell Studio 540 desktop for nearly two years and all I do on it is word processing, watching movies and playing Civilization 4. I have recently bought Civilization 5 and am only able to play it on the lowest of settings. Considering I don't play any other games on my machine I have little interest in buying a new computer. I am, however, willing to buy some hardware to to upgrade my system.

My current specs are:

Motherboard / Processor:
Mainboard Model 0M017G
Intel E7400 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series

Memory:
3Gb

The only thing I have changed is that I have clean installed Windows 7 - thereby removing Vista and other software "additions".

Civilization specs are:
Minimum

* Windows XP SP3
* Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0Ghz Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 8 GB free disk space
* DVD Drive for disc-based installation
* 256 MB ATI 2600 XT/nVidia 7900 GS video card, or Core i3 integrated graphics
* DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
* Internet connection for authentication

Recommended

* Windows Vista SP2/Windows 7
* 1.8 GHz Quad Core Processor
* 4 GB RAM
* 8 GB free disk space
* DVD Drive
* 512 MB ATI 4800/nVidia 9800 or better video card

When I use http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ it states that my processor doesn't meet minimum requirements - which I don't quiet understand.

I have, in the past, upgraded systems and installed new graphic card, etc. I am will to upgrade my processor, graphic card etc.

My question is:
What will give me the biggest improvement (processor, Graphics, etc) ?
What processor, graphics, etc do people recommend? Has anyone upgraded a 540?
I have heard there are issues with upgrading power supplies and fans due to components being "welded" in place - is this true and does it affect processors in dells?

Thanks to everyone who spent the time reading my post, I hope someone can give me advice.

JD

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Upgrading Dell Studio 540 Desktop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading Dell Studio 540 Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That CPU is fine.

To avoid upgrading the power supply I'll share my HP d4999t with a ZOTAC GT240 1GB FANLESS (GOOGLE THAT) tops out at 120 Watts for the entire machine and it was under 100 at the time I bought that.

That's all I would do.

Bob

- Collapse -
PSU upgrade

Thanks for the reply. I negated to say that my current PSU is 350W (i think) so I will probably be getting a bigger one (650 or so), so therefore I can handle getting a more poser hungery GPU. I was thinking a 5670.

I would be interested to know your opinion on the matter. Or for that matter from anyone who has done similar.

- Collapse -
Is 650 enough?

I find many don't research the cards or base the PSU rating on Watts then discover that not only Watts is a requirement but sometimes the Amperes on a supply rail. To avoid this trouble I suggest SINGLE RAIL PSUs.

As to what card, I use this list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-radeon-hd-4850-gpu,2732.html

You can set your price point for the card, then see what power is needed.
No I have not updated a machine with a 5670 but in my view one upgrade is much like the next. Folk pick a different card every day.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for the advice

I think I'll be looking at a Radeon HD 5830 1 GB.
I have been looking at PSU's and can see that there are a number of Single rail 600-700W PSU's out there. This is just one I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

I'm very new to PSU's so I would hope that this has the power and Amp (I did note what you said and am trying to figure it all out but a lot of websites don't list the Amp output clearly).

Thanks for you help

CNET Forums

Forum Info