General discussion

Upgrading CPU - Please Help

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 with i945G/GZ chipset (model 0HJ054) running Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz).

I am looking to upgrade my CPU and I am not sure if my motherboard is compatible with some of the new processors that are out there. Any ideas or suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrading CPU - Please Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading CPU - Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Limited choices.
- Collapse -
Another Motherboard Perhaps?

I wonder if it's possible for me to purchase a new motherboard along with a new PC? Not sure if that's a good idea but what do you think? Also, what combo do you think would work the best?

- Collapse -
Editing the above post

I mean a new CPU not PC. That is what I am trying to avoid. thanks again.

- Collapse -
Are you sure?

If we change the motherboard the OS is now lost. These OEM licenses die with the machine.

Let's be frank here. Changing a 2.8GHz dual core Pentium to almost any dual core CPU will gain so little that you may be upset at the end.

Let's discuss what the goal here is. For example a better video card can give you twice the speed in games and a new hard drive could reduce boot times dramatically. And we didn't change the CPU.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info