Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP

by Sweet_venom101 / May 6, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

I've been having trouble for the last 3 days. I just purchased a Soyo KT400 Dragon (black) with a AMD 2500+. I hooked the new motherboard up with the 80G HD that I pulled from my former E-Machines. It boots, it beeps I've ran BIOS many times, however XP doesn't boot. I'm currently stuck on the screen where it states "Windows was not properly shut down formerly due to many problems" It displays 5 options of what I can do. Start in safe mode, command prompt, network mode, last place that worked, or windows normally. Plus it gives me 27 seconds to decide. Well none of the options work. It either freezes or reboots and comes back to the same screen. My assumption is that the HD is still thinking that it's running on the old Pentium Celeron that was formally there, OR since it was an E-Machines that it won't work on any aftermarket motherboard.
I've tried tons of things and nothing works. Is it something I can fix in BIOS? Or do i have to put the old motherboard in and do something on that so that it works on the new one? I have tried to wipe out the HD and reinstall windows but that doesn't work either. I would really like the keep the HD because there are some files I'd like to keep. I even thought about buying a 120G HD, installing XP to it, making it the master and perhaps make the old HD the slave. Right now I'm willing to try anything. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP. Is the the XP that came with the Emachine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

What inflames some is the XP license has teeth. You can't take your Emachine hard disk and get it to boot XP with that version of XP (aka OEM.)

Only the retail versions are enabled to do this movement.

Tell more about that version of XP.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP
by Willy / May 6, 2004 9:32 PM PDT

Its the emachine side of things keeping you from proceeding and yeah it suppose to act that way, it wants to see emachine mtrbd.. Of course the XP OEM version provided by emachine is basically looking for what you had registered it as, too many changes and it goes bananas. If it remains on the emachine side of things and if it did that a relaod of the OS would cure it, and NOPE! doing that now won't work with new mtrbd.. Sad

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
by JMarchi / May 6, 2004 10:53 PM PDT

Did you take the 80GB drive out and install XP fresh on it or did you just try and use it with the Emachine disk that was working in the other system.

Windows XP hard drives just will not boot on another system with different hardware, and you probably can't put it back in the old system and get it working there either because you would have corrupted it putting it in a new system. Windows XP is extremely dependent on the hardware in the system it was installed in. The differences in hardware makes it impossible to port Windows XP hard drives to a new system, like we used to do with Windows 98 (and even then you had to do tricks to get it working). Even a retail version of Windows XP would have this problem.

You need to do a fresh install and when you do that you have to have a new copy of XP, the one that came with the Emachine will never authenticate in the new system.

While others have mentioned the OEM license, that really isn't an issue, I have installed OEM versions on other brand systems, as a test, and they come up just fine, won't authenticate (you have 30 days), need a valid license, but they install and work just fine...then I blew them away and installed a good license, but I was able to prove the point (in this case a Dell copy on an HP Pavilion).

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 11:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Upgrading CPU/Motherboard to former HD with XP
by JMarchi / May 7, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

I hit the wrong button and deleted Robert's message. He said that he had done this with other brand systems and it was not succesful. He said that shows Dell may have an advantage in this area.

I was going to reply (before I hit the wrong button) that Dell includes a full version of Windows XP, not a recovery disk (like HP or many others) so you can do a REAL install with the CD, on any system, it doesn't even check to see if it is a Dell system. Of course the Install Code isn't as forgiving!!!! This is one major advantage of a Dell however, you have a problem with the OS you can actually do a repair install, instead of having to wipe the drive and do a recovery.

Collapse -
Smart move by Dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

You can't imagine the triple hoop jumps I've had to accomplish with some OEM CD's.

As to the slip of the mouse, I think I did that once as well.

Bob

Collapse -
by rfdave / May 9, 2004 8:34 AM PDT

I am almost sure that the hard drive has to go...Aftermarket has got you there my friend and I have not found a way to completely get everything out of a hard drive....though I'm sure there may be ways....you don't have a handy hard drive to just stick in there to confirm this is the problem....I would do what you were thinking of and buying another drive to run xp....
Let me ask you...if you have some files on your hard drive you don't want to lose....how is it formatted by Xp.....you might try getting these files on disc and completely reformatting the drive and then if you want to later on put these important files back on....I still think you should get another HD....this will prevent a lot of headache...
RFDAVE

Collapse -
Re:Get another drive, install xp on it, slave this one to it...
by Scott Swinyard / May 10, 2004 7:38 AM PDT

..see if you can copy your files across.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!