Question

Upgrading CPU from i5-2410m?

May 31, 2017 5:48AM PDT

I current have a 2011 Toshiba satellite, after changing the thermal paste I discovered that the processor is not soldered to the motherboard, and is removable.

I have seen on other forums that people have upgraded their 2410m laptop to a quad core i7. Is there any better processor that would work besides an i7-2670qm? As far as the extra heat goes, I already have copper shims around to the copper heat sink mod, as well as a cooling stand.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Upgrading CPU from i5-2410m?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading CPU from i5-2410m?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Well you could upgrade
May 31, 2017 6:06AM PDT

other components and see a greater benefit. SSD would show best performance increase and memory increase second.

- Collapse -
I have already upgraded to an ssd and RAM
May 31, 2017 6:40AM PDT

As well as taken the disc drive out to put a large hdd in its place.

- Collapse -
Answer
Nod to orlbuckeye
May 31, 2017 6:34AM PDT

SSD will get you a big step forward in overall performance. Follow others when doing such upgrades. Only try new paths when it's OK it won't work out and you can take the loss.

- Collapse -
PS. Please don't leave out details.
May 31, 2017 7:23AM PDT

When folk ask this question, if you don't tell us, we take the machine as otherwise stock.

As to the CPU choice, you not only have the obvious chip form factor to deal with but is the BIOS supporting that CPU and finally the CPU TDP must be close enough on Watts to not trigger a meltdown.

- Collapse -
Answer
Laptop
May 31, 2017 3:47PM PDT

Tell the model number of this machine.

CNET Forums

Forum Info