General discussion

Upgrading cable modem?

I need to consider a new cable modem. I checked the Comcast website and it indicates that my current modem, D-Link DCM202 is at the end of its useful life and/or no longer supported. I'm looking for recommendations on a new modem for a not very techy person to install. Should I also replace the D-Link router, DI-524, at the same time? My current setup is an HP m7750n desktop w/Windows 7, 2 ghz + 4 gb ram connected directly to the router. We also have an Ooma voip phone.

Modem-Ooma-Router

Thanks much
Joe

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Upgrading cable modem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading cable modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here.

You could use the ethernet port on Comcast's EMTA (Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter) but check to see if that incurs any fees.

The di-524 was an ok router but if it can't do WPA (I can't remember) this it has to go.
Bob

- Collapse -
firmware upgrade

While searching the forums for more information, I found a different link to Comcast that says my modem is ok and capable of the level of service we get. Since it is a few years old, would it be advisable to upgrade the firmware? Our voip phone is just decent and I am trying to do things that might increase the voice quality.

Thanks again.
Joe

- Collapse -
The firmware on what device?

The cable modem is rarely updated. The 524 hasn't been updated in years so my thought is use their latest but if there is no WPA wifi security then I'd replace that part.
Bob

- Collapse -
WPA

Thanks Bob for the input. Went to the D-Link website and the product manual indicates that it does include WPA for better security. Looks like I won't need to do anything, and that is what I do best!

Joe

- Collapse -
Why I don't know the 524 WPA.

While I owned the 524, 2 years or more I gifted it away because of the lack of WPA. It's nice to read they issued firmware to include that.
As this is all volunteer I leave some work to you.
Bob

- Collapse -
DCM202

The DCM202 is a supported modem.
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/DisplayCMDevice.php?sort=4&dir=1
The only current issue that I know of with that device is it never got updated support for the DOCSIS 1.1 firmware update and so you cannot make use a what we call POWERBOOST.

A newer modem will not likely help with your VOIP phone service unless it is having some sort of packetloss or latency issue at the modem itself. VOIP uses very little bandwidth, in actuality, and your router is a more likely cause of such issues.

If you think your service is having an issue, a test such as the line quality test at dslreports.com may help you determine if you need a tech visit from comcast or need to trouble shoot your own EQ.

- Collapse -
Are we talking Modem or WiFi Router?

Comcast just gave me a new wired/wireless b,g,n router when they recently installed the triple combo in my house. ATT did the same a year ago with their U-Verse (fired ATT due to lousy support and continuous tech problems). ATT seemed to have the edge in their Router/Modem because it was only one unit: Modem/wireless router. Comcast needed a Modem unit and a separate wireless router.

CNET Forums

Forum Info