HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrading Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU

by nycplayboy78 / September 24, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

Hello and good morning everyone I have a HP Pavilion Media Center PC a1250n with an Athlon 64 X2 3800 CPU which is a Socket 939 chip and I want to upgrade it to a higher faster Socket 939 CPU and here is the motherboard for my PC (ASUS A8AE-LE). Here are the stats for my current CPU:

CPU/Processor Socket: 939
Supports AMD Athlon64, AMD Sempron and Athlon 64 X2 processors

Front-side bus (FSB) 2000MT/s or 1600MT/s, depending on what the processor supports

Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Socket: AMD Socket 939
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Processor Speed: 2000
Processor Speed + Class
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Physical + Memory Specifications
L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
L1 Cache Size: 256 kB
Number of Processor Cores: 2
Processor Socket: AMD Socket 939

I am looking to get the following CPU:

Processor Socket: AMD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It might or it might not.
by Kees Bakker / September 24, 2007 5:18 PM PDT
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/171501-12-a8ae should be informative.

The things you can do (as I read it):
- Ask HP tech support (in India) if "supports 64 X2 processors" includes the 4800+ and if you have to set any jumpers to get the full power out of it.
- Believe the specs and try if it's faster indeed.

The most likely answer from the tech is that it isn't supported and you void the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Kees
Collapse -
Agree with Kees re cking with Tech Support
by VAPCMD / September 24, 2007 10:45 PM PDT

and you might also consider a dual-core Opteron socket 939. Excellent processor.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
x2 4800+ is fine for your hp
by ramarc / September 24, 2007 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Upgrade to X2 4800+
by nycplayboy78 / September 25, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Marc thank you for your help. Will I need to meddle with the jumpers or anything like that? I have the latest BIOS 3.47 and I am running Vista Home Premium. I am past my warranty time anyways. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,

NYCPLAYBOY78

Collapse -
Hard to get
by rankle08 / September 25, 2007 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to X2 4800+
Collapse -
opteron may not work in the pavillion
by ramarc / September 25, 2007 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard to get

another athlon x2 will definitely work, but the hp's bios may not understand an opteron. (dell/hp/ibm bioses are much more inflexible than those from asus/msi/abit etc.) if the original poster can get a socket 939 x2 4800+, it will be a safer choice than an opteron 180/185.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.