Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrading an old Presario

by HondoMan / September 20, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

I've got a friend who's made an usual request. His wife has an old Compaq Presario 5095cl. Seems she want to keep it but he's talked her into upgrading the machine. I've made several suggestions that should occur such as a new power supply and HDD along with a new MoBo, memory and CPU. The specs are a 200Mhz bus and she has a 900Mhz AMD duron chip. I'm not finding much on the MoBo online. I suppose it's just too old. The husband and I are not in the same location as the computer, so I have no means to "climb inside" and take a look. I feel it's safest to ensure the new board is the same size as the old one and the holes line up to mount the thing. Does anyone have any suggestions on boards? I've tried endlessly to talk them both into buying a new computer, but that has fallen on deaf ears.

Suggestions on boards anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading an old Presario
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading an old Presario
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A new motherboard ...
by Kees Bakker / September 20, 2008 11:51 PM PDT

(buy one with embedded sound and video) with new CPU and memory, combined with a new PSU and a new hard disk, in essence is a new PC in an old case. Why not add a DVD-burner to replace the CD-ROM? Then all is new!

It might be cheaper to buy everything new, including the case, if you can get a nice deal. And it certainly is less work.

Kees

Collapse -
A new motherboard ...
by HondoMan / September 21, 2008 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: A new motherboard ...

Kees, thanks but I'm more after brands or types. Abit versus Gigabyte, for example. I have no clue what the board is inside, but I can't make a suggestion to my colleague without know what's inside the case. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Waste of time & money
by Bob__B / September 21, 2008 1:56 AM PDT

That thing is from 2001.

Wally-mart...400 bucks....10x the machine.

If the user insist on keeping the machine.

Consider a ram upgrade.
Waste of money in my opinion...but it might make the user happy.
HP says that machine comes with 128MB of ram with a max of 768MB.
If the user is running w98 bump the ram to 256.
If the user is running XP bump the ram to the max.

Collapse -
What IS a computer? To her, its the one she has used for...
by jturner1970 / September 26, 2008 9:14 AM PDT

I am guessing that the lady in question has become very familiar with her Presario. She knows where her files are, she knows how to plug her camera and mp3 player into it, she nows how to install a new CD program into it. SHE KNOWS IT. That is why she wants to keep it.

Upgrading it is NOT a waste of time or money. As a matter of fact her machine will do pretty much everything a new one will. It can download off the internet at 100MPS if she likes. It can send email. It can display photo ablums, it can play cds and mp3s. It can display in svga. It can accept a DVD burner.

Will XPsp2/3 with all of its heavy and burdeonsome network interfacing, security for such, and background services, most of which she will NEVER use, be slower on her machine? Sure. Will Vista with its shiny display but ram killing requirements be more than her system can handle? Undoubtedly.

But so what. I don't put a Ferrari v12 in my Honda because I'm not racing in a Grand Prix. As a matter of fact, most of the users here that have high end machines will admit they do so primarily to PLAY GAMES. Maybe she has other games she plays besides those on a computer (soccer with kids, candyland with pre-schooler, etc...)

Max out the Ram. Find a decent graphics card. Max out the CPU for its socket type. All three won't cost maybe $175.00 total. Double check HP\Compaq's site info against the motherboard's own site. I have found several discrepancies in the past, especially with FIC produced boards. A good air clean for the power supply, maybe add a system case fan, and perhaps drop "themes" setting to a performance stance from appearance, and her husband gets his upgrades, she keeps her computer, they stay married!

Collapse -
set up a "scheduled tasks" list for her too...
by jturner1970 / September 26, 2008 9:42 AM PDT

Use the scheduled tasks to automate computer maintenance and software upgrades for her machine.

The casual computer user (i.e. email, photos, mp3, websurf-casts, and solitaire) believe their machine to be slower than it used to be, or perhaps slower than the one their friend has, because it is broken or infected. In fact, most often it needs only to have its scheduled tasks set up to self maintain the HDD, Registry, and Antivirus protocols.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?