PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading Advice....

Motherboard: Asus A8V-Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+,
Display: 1x ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
RAM: 1024mb Kingston
Sound:RealTek AC97

Right, basically what i want to do is to upgrade my mobo to an Asus M2N-E SLi.
having done that, its convenient for me to get a EN7300GT 128mb/DDR3 video card to SLi with my current display card, the Radeon 9800 PRO, then get another 1gb of kingston RAM, followed by a AMD Athlon Dual Core X2 64 Bit 4600+ fsb 2000mhz Socket 940 processor.

I have been assured by the shop guy that its possible, but my limited knowledge of such things requires assistance....

Can anyone here ease my mind before i spend the cash?
Can a Radeon 9800 PRO and an EN7300GT SLi on an Asus M2N-E SLi???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Advice....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Advice....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It won't work

In reply to: Upgrading Advice....

SLI requires two video cards with each having the same SLI capable nVidia GPU.

Also note that in many instances, one good video card performs better than two lesser cards using nVidia's SLI technology or ATI's Crossfire technology.

Either the "shop guy" didn't explain it very well, or you need to go to another shop.

Collapse -
the "shop guy" is absolutely wrong

In reply to: Upgrading Advice....

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you're only upgrading the motherboard. if that's the case, that m2n-e sli won't work ANY of existing components you listed.

the m2n-e sli is based on socket AM2; the a8v is based on socket 939 so your old cpu is incompatible. the m2n-e sli has pci-express slots; the 9800pro agp card is incompatible. the a8v uses ddr ram; the m2n uses ddr2 so your ram is incompatible.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: the "shop guy" is absolutely wrong

Thanks guys!

ill go in to the shop in a few days and complain ; )
thanks again for the help

Darth

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.