Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrading a PC

by jimsan / February 23, 2004 9:39 PM PST

What can I do if anything to upgrade a Gateway 2000 Computer. The model is a P6 with an Intel Pentium II 233mhz processor. 8.4 gbyte Fujitsu hard drive with
192mbyte RAM. The operating System is Windows 98. The power supply is rated at 200 watts. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Upgrading a PC
by pfeffer3 / February 23, 2004 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrading a PC

You have a very old slow computer that really is not worth trying to upgrade. Donate it to some form of charity.

Collapse -
Re:Upgrading a PC. (P2-233)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 10:02 PM PST

Yes. The problem is that you have to RESEACH what motherboard they used, if there is a BIOS update and then FIND a COMPATIBLE CPU.

It can be CHEAP to move this to the 500+ MHz class which can give the machine a second life since about that speed you can play DVDs.

NO! I don't know what motherboard it used. YOU!!! get to open the case, read all the numbers and use http://www.google.com to find out what it used as well as Gateway's site to see if you have LATEST BIOS.

BEWARE ANY PURCHASE OF 256 Megabyte Memory Sticks since it's likely to be a BX CHIPSET and those can't use what you find at the grocery store checkout. Crucial.com has the right double-sided sticks if you plan to go to 512 Meg. But 192 is OK for most usage.

After the CPU step to 500 or so MHz, any current technology AGP 3D card could be next.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Upgrading a PC
by Livewire / February 25, 2004 1:27 PM PST

I don't know if your computer use a slot or socket type processor you will have to look if it a slot you can go up to 500 mhz you can find those on amazon or ebay also go to gaste way and down load spec sheet of the your computer.
This will tell what type of processor it use wheather it is socket or slot or both also you have to find out the mother board name who made it for gate way.
Look at the chipset on the motherboard and write down any info on it and use google search engine and go to the manufacture website.
Some of the Chipset name are " applo, Via, AlI, Intel,and SIS". Cause any time you up grade you will have to chenge the the dip switches and jumper setting to match the processor. If its a socket processor you can up grade depending on the socket type and the processor, but you need to know who made the mother board. if it a socket 350 nother board you have a couple of choices you can go to a celeron or a via processorup to 650 mhz. Should give you enough soeed to do it.
One last thing you should weigh the pros and cons of upgrading your computer if it gonna cost more than the low level entry at walmat or the hp pavilians cheapest entry then your better of buying a new one with out the head ache.
Good luck Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?