PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading a nVidia GeForce FX 5200?

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz (800 Mhz FSB, HT) with 1 GB of RAM, and 8xAGP. I currently have an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card with 128 MB of RAM. The card is decent, but I notice it slowed down on some of the newer games I have. I want to upgrade, but have a limited budget (less than $200) to spend. I've been looking at ATI's Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 MB of RAM. Is this a significant upgrade over what I have? I just want to make sure I'm making a decent upgrade...meaning an upgrade that will speed up the newer games out there. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading a nVidia GeForce FX 5200?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading a nVidia GeForce FX 5200?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go for nvdia 6800 usually on sale for 200 bucks

In reply to: Upgrading a nVidia GeForce FX 5200?

if u want cheaper, then go for 6600gt but the 6800 is better and well worth the xtra money.

Collapse -
Is nVidia GeForce FX 5200 to ATI Radeon 9800 PRO an upgrade?

In reply to: go for nvdia 6800 usually on sale for 200 bucks

Thanks for the recommendation. However, I'd still like to know if it is a significant upgrade to go from my nVidia GeForce FX 5200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO.

Are there any quantitative resources on the internet that compare how good video cards are stacked up against each other?

Again, any help is appreciated.

BB

Collapse -
the problem

In reply to: Is nVidia GeForce FX 5200 to ATI Radeon 9800 PRO an upgrade?

with going from Nvidia to ATi is the drivers switching and stuff...ur better off just sticking with Nvdia and getting the 6600GT

Collapse -
Here's how I see it...

In reply to: Upgrading a nVidia GeForce FX 5200?

Your current video isn't slowing down its your gaming applications demanding more. Getting a 9800pro is a step up "chipset" wise but its a dated chipset. You're logical step-up with nVidea is the 6600GT and keeping with what the look and feel of nVidea setting. Let's face it, if you want to get the best video, you got to spend the $$$ and then wait awhile, it'be old news. Considering your $200 budget, having the 6600GT is a good bargain compared to yet upper level chipsets. Beware though, sooner or later it'll be the bargain offering probably in a yr. as pricing drops and then another chipset will take its place within that pricing range.

FYI - Getting a more powerful video card, you need to prepare to have a decent power supply of at least 350W or better. These new video cards are sucking the juice and if not taken care of will cause problems, system wide, if not shutdown or presistant reboots and/or BSDs.

happy USA -----Willy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.