Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrading a new Win 7 home laptop

by Bill Osler / January 16, 2010 9:51 PM PST

Some of the laptops I have looked at appear to be marketed with Windows 7 Home but not Win 7 Pro.

I need to be able to run Windows 7 Professional but I don't have a need for high end graphics or super fast processing speed. I'm not playing games or running Photoshop or anything like that. Mostly I'm either web browsing or accessing my employer's network using a Citrix Server site (which is where the 'Home' windows versions break down). I don't even require a built-in optical drive. Nor do I need a really large screen. Portability matters, though, which is why I've been looking at small/light computers. There are a number of possibilities from companies like ASUS that look like good matches except the inexpensive choices always seem to have Win 7 Home Premium.

That makes me wonder if it would be reasonable to buy a laptop with the 'home' version of Windows 7 and then upgrade to the 'professional' version. I'm not sure it is a good idea but I've read that it should be possible.

Are there special issues I need to be aware of if I want to upgrade a laptop from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading a new Win 7 home laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading a new Win 7 home laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are plenty with Pro and Ultimate
by Steven Haninger / January 16, 2010 10:46 PM PST

for well under $1000. Unfortunately the lightest and most portable tend to cost more. I'm partial to Lenovo as they do cater to the business crowd more than some others. MS does offer something called "Anytime Upgrade" with Windows 7 but, personally, I'd not buy a PC that immediately required a more capable OS. I'm going to buy it with what I want already on it. If Home versus Pro with Win 7 is anything like with XP, the biggest advantage for business use is the ability to join a domain. As well, security is a bit more scalable with Pro versions. About the only decision I can think at this point was whether to go with 64 bit or 32 bit. If you have such as printer drivers that need to be installed and you want 64 bit, you'll need to check to see if drivers are currently available for what you already have.

Collapse -
One of the challenges ...
by Bill Osler / January 16, 2010 11:00 PM PST

I have not found many up-to-date resources for comparing the various notebooks that are available. Also, I have had problems actually locating some of the choices that are nominally available.

Collapse -
Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 11:20 PM PST

The ONE thing that many want in 7 Pro is XP MODE. This is why I ask buyers check the CPU for "VTx". Google VTX to catch up.

Other than that, you can do the anytime upgrade to 7 Pro on any laptop I see today without issue.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks.
by Bill Osler / January 17, 2010 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just one.
Collapse -
Professional
by jeff_windows_team / January 19, 2010 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

The anytime upgrade at the Microsoft Store online is $90 USD. Let me know if you have trouble locating it and I can give you the link. When you get there take a look at the Product Overview to make sure you need the features included in Professional or if Home Premium will do the trick and the system requirements to make sure whatever model you buy is capable of running XP Mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.