Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrading a laptop HDD

I am trying to make my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop a little more enthusiastic. A memory upgrade I can cope with, but what about the HDD? It currently has just an 80Gb disc. Could I clone this to a larger HDD with Acronis True Image and swap them? The machine came with XP Home pre-installed - I do not have an XP disc.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading a laptop HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading a laptop HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a question.

In reply to: Upgrading a laptop HDD

If the XP install went sour, how would you fix that?

About the hard disk. Since the installed XP is just XP and we have no restore CDs we must stick to drives 127GB or smaller. You can clone the drive with the drive maker's free software.
Bob

Collapse -
Cloning

In reply to: Just a question.

Sorry, I haven't understood why a new disc needs to be under 127Gb. And are you saying that the new drive would have software for cloning? Would this be an advantage over True Image?

Collapse -
Because XP is limited to 127GB in size.

In reply to: Cloning

http://www.48bitlba.com and other sites note this issue. I don't duplicate ready web content. Since you don't know the "base version" of the OS and we can't use what XP reports on the machine we must stay in the safe area of "XP." Your choice if you decide to go above the size that XP natively supported.

"And are you saying that the new drive would have software for cloning? Would this be an advantage over True Image?"

Some do, some don't and the advantage over True Image could be the price. While I use G4U the command line seems to intimidate many.
Bob
Collapse -
XP limitations

In reply to: Because XP is limited to 127GB in size.

Thanks, Bob. I didn't realise XP had disc limitations. As to cloning, cost is not an issue as I already have True Image. I'm more concerned about whether the machine is likely to run from the cloned disc.

Collapse -
If we stay inside "XP" limits I forsee no issues.

In reply to: XP limitations

I've done this far too many times now. The only area that seems to confuse many is that XP limit. Yes, Microsoft lifted that limit in XP SP1 but not for those that installed XP. If we knew for a fact that XP SP1 or better was the installed OS as opposed to XP being installed and SP1 or later applied (the difference is minor unless we are talking about hard disk upgrades) then we could make an informed decision.
Bob

Collapse -
HDD size

In reply to: If we stay inside "XP" limits I forsee no issues.

I've just realised I have only a 40GB HDD, not 80Gb, so even going to 120Gb would help performance, I suppose.

Collapse -
Probably

In reply to: Upgrading a laptop HDD

Probably, but as with anything of this nature involving Windows, your mileage may vary. It SHOULD work, but you never really know for sure if there will be some kind of hiccup until you try. So, be sure to keep the old drive around until you're sure the new one is working properly.

Also, be careful about heat dissipation rates. If the laptop came with a 5400RPM drive, you may want to think twice about stuffing in a 7200RPM drive. It may be (slightly) faster, but it will also generate more heat and drain the battery faster. Heat is probably the biggest concern with laptops, especially newer ones where thin and lightweight is the goal. There's not a lot of room for excess heat to go, so it just builds up inside the case.

Collapse -
How tell speed?

In reply to: Probably

Thanks for this. Can I tell the HDD speed without taking it out and peering at it? Belarc doesn't tell me.

Collapse -
Download and run HDTune V2.55

In reply to: How tell speed?

Collapse -
Speed of HDD

In reply to: Download and run HDTune V2.55

Thanks, but I can't see the speed info on either the standard or pro version. I can see capacity (40GB, not as I stated 80Gg) and serial number etc but nothing that tells me 4200, 5400 or whatever.

Collapse -
Ok....but it does give you the drive model #. Armed with

In reply to: Speed of HDD

that....you can check the mfg's website for the RPM spec.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.