General discussion

Upgrading

Hello,
I'm going to be upgrading my powerbook G4. I have an external 750 hard drive that is up to date with my system. What I would like to know is, should I do a clean install to Leopard(can't go snow leopard.no intel. right?)and later add my pictures & music back from backup? And what is the best way to do that. I also am adding 1 g to the 512. I'm thinking I'm not going full memory for now. I'm just trying to make this wonderful laptop a few more yrs. Please can anybody tell me how you upgraded and why..........Thanks for any help.
:unsure:
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0
System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165)
Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrading
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's up to you

It's up to you if you want to do a clean install, but if things are working pretty well, and you're happy, then there's no real need for a clean install. They can be useful for doing some "spring cleaning" and getting rid of some of the stuff that's built up over the years, but if you're only planning on having the system for another year or so... I don't know that I'd really bother. There's not a lot of point investing a lot of time, effort, or money into something that you're looking to just squeeze a little extra life out of.

You are also correct in that 10.5 is the end of the line for PPC (G3, G4, and G5) systems.

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks for the input....Sorry, I meant that I hope it lasts that long. This is the best computer I've ever had. For what I do, it should last longer than that. I just meant I'd be outdated, so to speak. I want to make it last as long as I can. I'm just getting scared in my old age that I won't do it right the first time and will have to do a lot of moving, fixing, what ever, that I don't have time to do now a days.
Thanks for your help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info