Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrades to HP?

by water guy / December 3, 2009 5:13 AM PST

The computer is old. A new camera (large files) and a full hard drive necessitates some improvements.

What I have: HP Pavillion A405n circa 2003
Motherboard is a MSI MS-6577 Micro ATX form
Celeron processor socket 478 2.7 GHz
512 MB Ram
80 GB Hard drive
Running XP home edition with service pack 2

I don?t really want to buy a new computer right now, between a distrust of windows 7 at this point in its lifespan, and lack of funds to do everything. I can do following the planned improvements for ~ $170

My plan:
Add additional 512 MB Ram (or install single 1024 MB RAM)
Add 2nd 320 GB HD, leave software on original HD and use 2nd HD for storage and retrieval of stuff.
Optional: Replace processor with a Prescott P4 2.8 GHz 533 MHz 512KB

My Question: Would my planned upgrades improve the speed of the computer, or is there a bottleneck in information processing I?m missing? Is this a good plan given the desire to keep the computer at the moment? Something else I should look at?

When I offered my plan to our work IT guy, he suggested a complete rebuild including motherboard, processor, HD, and lots more RAM. I recognize these would all be good things, however...
My research into replacing the motherboard and processor as suggested by my IT friend leads me to believe this effort has a high degree of failure from boards that don?t fit (I understand that HP was good about building things no one else would fit), to computers plagued by the blue screen of death after a MB change out.

The computer is reliable now, and works fine. It?s just slow sometimes. Suggestions? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrades to HP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrades to HP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Biggest Bang For the Buck Is To Simply Add RAM
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrades to HP?

I'd just max out the RAM.. Till you get more money to upgrade the entire computer, that's what I'd do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'd skip the CPU
by Jimmy Greystone / December 3, 2009 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrades to HP?

I'd skip the CPU, but the other two seem like good ideas. You've got a P4, which quite frankly, was a real turd of a processor. And as such, there's really only so much you can do to improve things, and an extra 100MHz clock speed isn't worth the money.

RAM is going to be far more useful, and having some additional storage space will help as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?