General discussion

Upgrades on Gateway GM5442

I have a Gateway GM5442 and need some advice on upgrades. I like to edit videos of a dance class I teach using Windows Live Movie Maker. The problem is that once I have a lot of clips strung together my computer starts freezing/glitching. I know that I can upgrade the RAM, but someone else also suggested a video card. I don't know anything about video cards.

Any suggestions? My computer hasn't been upgraded at all since I bought it, except for a WiFi adapter I installed, so it still has the factory specs.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009459/1009459nv.shtml

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrades on Gateway GM5442
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrades on Gateway GM5442
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tell more.
- Collapse -
Video playback

What I meant by "glitchy/freezing" is that the video playback while I'm editing on Live Movie Maker gets choppy. Or the playback screen will freeze but the sound keeps going. It doesn't make my computer entirely unusable, it just lags or temporarily stops and starts the video playback. Everything else is fine. I also noticed lots of icons appearing on the bottom right (on my vista bar where all the icons are next to the time). The more videos I have running, the more icons show up. I can try running it and get a screen shot of it if that helps. It just feels like my computer can't really handle the videos when I'm editing, so I'd like to do something to help that.

- Collapse -
That's a respectable machine.

That Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 is on the low end. AFTER you completed the cleaning I noted and if that does not help, I'd beg or borrow some PCIe Video card.

Almost all will be many times faster than the 950 as well as offload the work from the CPU.

At 2GB and a 32 bit OS adding ram is not going to pay back.

HOWEVER ". The more videos I have running " to me means you should try keeping less videos running at the same time. For years I have found folk that try to open 24 web browsers, email, word, excel and a stock tracker and then wonder why it's still slow.
Bob

- Collapse -
What I meant by "glitchy"

What I meant by "glitchy/freezing" is that the video playback while I'm editing on Live Movie Maker gets choppy. Or the playback screen will freeze but the sound keeps going. It doesn't make my computer entirely unusable, it just lags or temporarily stops and starts the video playback. Everything else is fine.

- Collapse -
Quick question

What do those icons say when you hover the mouse over them? Any clues what they are?

Mark

- Collapse -
??

When I hover it says "ffdshow audio decoder"
Here's a screen shot that shows what I mean by "the more videos I have running" (meaning the video clips that I add to my WLMM project. If I add multiple clips the computer can't really handle it.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/AladdinsFan/wlmm.jpg

The icons are the red and blue things at the bottom. They're little red and blue squares with white "FFv" on them. They keep scrolling as I make edits in my movie. When I close WLMM they go away.

- Collapse -
Did you really need FFDSHOW?

CNET Forums