Desktops forum

Question

Upgrades for me Desktop

by duchess_archer / March 29, 2014 6:19 AM PDT

Hi all,

ive just got a new PC, but want to upgrade most parts. im looking at a budget of maybe £400 tops. but have no clue if this is enough or to much.

Here is my computer:

Windows 8.1,
intel, core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
4.00 GB ram,
64-bit Operating System. x64-based processor,
card Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrades for me Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrades for me Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That looks like a nice machine to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2014 6:26 AM PDT

Get on the web and more. Why upgrade? Gaming? You didn't tell.

As it stands I would not change a thing.
Bob

Collapse -
yea for gaming.
by duchess_archer / March 29, 2014 6:38 AM PDT

i find it a bit slow tba. and just playing shogun 2, its just a bit sluggish. so anything to improve.

cheers for the fast response Bob.

Collapse -
Then you need to reveal make/model of the PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2014 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: yea for gaming.
Collapse -
i bought it from a private company so cant see any logos
by duchess_archer / March 29, 2014 7:16 AM PDT

ive opened up the case an it seems very spacious. And so if i got the GTX 750Ti and maxed my ram to 8gb. would my power supply be able to handle it, or would i still need to upgrade that aswel.

also im unsure of how to find more information about the desktop. any tips?

Cheers.

Collapse -
just opened case.
by duchess_archer / March 29, 2014 7:29 AM PDT

just some more information

power supply- ATX switiching output 500w
motherboard- asus h81m-e
ram- 2x 2gb 256mx64 ddr3

hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still light on detail
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2014 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: just opened case.

If that is a single rail PSU then it could be OK. Any chance of a make/model or link to that PSU?

Collapse -
Somthing like this
by duchess_archer / March 29, 2014 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Still light on detail

Model : 500 CB
Output : 500w
Connectors :
20 + 4 pin motherboard connector
2 sata cables
3 Molex
4 pin CPU

Collapse -
That's unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2014 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: no sorry it is not

I found one model had a 14 Ampere +12V rail so let's see if 168 Watts is enough. First we divide that by 2 for margin and life span.

This means the GTX 750Ti should never go over 84 Watts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html seems to be pushing it on the PSU I found.

It's a shame we don't know what PSU you have or its per rail amperage ratings.
Bob

Collapse -
would pictures help?
by duchess_archer / April 1, 2014 8:57 PM PDT
In reply to: That's unclear.

so you think that graphics card could hurt the PC?

Collapse -
No. I would not do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2014 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: would pictures help?

My choice is to not go past 50% of a PSU's rating. It's a shame we can't find out what this PSU is or what its ratings are. It's not just Watts but Amperes per rail.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Solid PC
by Willy / March 30, 2014 2:39 AM PDT

I read the post thread and it seems you're a good example of trying to keep a "gamer" happy. You will find that kicking and screaming your PC into a happy game realm won't be as easy as it appears. I offer this because, for one, you have an OEM type PC, probable HP. But, you didn't state what model# you have because OEM based systems can be troublesome to really get game ready. If not, read on...

Next, I would concentrate on video(its ram+chipset) and power which already some posters offered, at least PSU. The video side has always been keen to provide the best gaming experience and the PSU along with it to support the new power demands it may require. I always post that cooling is a prime consideration as well in order to sustain power and video outputs at high levels in order to keep all working. Looking into those three areas should make your gaming experience a good one. That's video, PSU and cooling and then ram if needed, because 4gb is often enough. The next level is making sure all this is certified or rated for "top shelf" or best offering, like PSU is 80+ and ram is SLI rated or similar. That ram is heat thermo-alloy shielded, etc.. Otherwise, sooner later something will falter because either you do prolong play or find the weakest link. I have found larger PC cases a must for best air circulation. Alas, was this desktop offered as a gaming one?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
no, it was a free computer
by duchess_archer / April 1, 2014 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Solid PC

I was given the computer from a WBS as im a DSA student, so i think your right about it being OEM. It just was given to use for my studies at uni and i was really hoping that i could improve it and turn it into a decent gaming system. but from the sounds of it, it seems my best bet is to just get another computer to improve?

also, as im not given off the right information, would pictures of my PC help at all?

Collapse -
Pix are good reference
by Willy / April 2, 2014 1:16 AM PDT

It sure would help to have pictures to look at. If you've already just be sure to check the mtrbd. manual to verify the upmost it can do. It that regard, you find is it worth going the next effort and cost. Upgrades can be made but compared to maybe the next generation mtrbd. even an used one would make a PC in the long run. Alas, because you're driving for a "gaming PC" that alone suggests you're going to place it in extreme or upmost modes as I haven't found a gamer willing to do less unless forced to. Wink

If you like I use PCWizard 2013 and allow it to run and inform you what you really have. The report or display will offer the details and more to the point "exactly" what you have, yada, yada. Understand OEM type PC tend to be stable or made to work for typical usage unless otherwise sold as such. That's why I made that point.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
report from pcwizard2013
by duchess_archer / April 2, 2014 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Pix are good reference

did you want me to copy the report from pc wizard into here. if so, any header in specific. i.e system summary, main board, processor?

also i apologise but what does mtrbd. manual mean?

much appreciated willy Happy

Collapse -
The info is for you to review
by Willy / April 3, 2014 2:15 PM PDT

If upon finding something that may puzzle you, the PCWizard may shed light on it or clue you in. No need to post the results in the forum unless it bolsters your question. I just offer it as tool to resolve whatever question(s) that it could answer. 3 things I find of immediate help me when I use.

1) tells exactly what memory sticks I have, name, type and specs
2) correctly IDs the motherboard(mtrbd.)
3) temp. reading and fan operations

Other than that for me is just more info but you never know it could help. Alas, the mtrbd. manual is the motherboard manual which offers the specs, troubleshooting and "how to" in general terms what your mtrbd. can do or "upgrade path" is available. Just another source of info/data that informs you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?