PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgraded system randomly crashes on the net

by Pezonator / February 16, 2008 2:56 PM PST

Hi, I hope this is in the right section Happy

I recently upgraded my AMD socket 939 Mobo from an Athlon 3500 and Radeon X1650pro to a dual core AMD 4200 with a Thermaltake Blue Orb2 fan and Radeon X1950pro. I also installed a fresh copy of my Windows XP Home and it's fully updated (this was a few days after I installed the new stuff, hoping it would fix the problem).

Problem:
The old system ran fine, no crashes whatsoever. After I installed the new components and installed the catalyst 7.10 "driver only" on the system, it would just randomly crash (with the old XP). Whether is be trying to install software, playing a game, looking at pictures and videos or browsing the net.

So I then installed a fresh Windows and the catalyst 8.2 control centre and driver, which is what i'm using now. It has fixed it to some degree, so I can now play games and install stuff. But on a random website or trying to save a random picture or even watching a youtube video, it will either freeze or the monitor will turn off or it will say "out of range" and then restart.

It is a clean install of Windows, 2 weeks old. And the BIOS settings are exactly the same as with the X1650 which worked fine. I know it may be a stability issue or a setting I must change in the bios, but I have no idea what the problem actually is.

My system is as follows:
ASUS A8V deluxe M/B, AGP 8x, socket 939, bios 1017 (latest)
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
ATI Radeon X1950pro
Windows XP Home SP2 fully updated
750Watt TT PSU

I would really appreciate any help. Games fly, but I surf the net just waiting for it to crash. I'm lucky I could write this message! Silly

Thanks

PS. I was just about to press submit post and guess what it did... This time it said "non-preset mode" and just froze. Thank goodness for Firefox's restore Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgraded system randomly crashes on the net
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgraded system randomly crashes on the net
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reinstall the RAM(s) and Graphics card
by Dango517 / February 17, 2008 11:11 AM PST

Take them out and put them in again. Double check that you put the ram in the right way. Do they match? Do you have the right one in the right slot? Run this diagnostics check:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The CPU did you install it correctly? Is it the right one for the board?

How about the power supply is it big enough? This one is tough to diagnose:

http://www.efficientpowersupplies.org/pages/Generalized_Internal_Power_Supply_Efficiency_Test_Protocol_R5.pdf

500 watts is the upper limit for most systems. Anything more then this is "over kill". If you have a $5,000.00+ system this may apply.

Collapse -
correction
by Dango517 / February 17, 2008 11:40 AM PST

If you have a $5,000.00+ system this may not apply.

Collapse -
I'll try it
by Pezonator / February 18, 2008 12:08 PM PST

Thanks for the reply

I didn't think about re-seating the RAM and video card, I will try this and let you know what happens.

The CPU is in properly and matches the M/B, so that's fine.

I also have 2GB of Geil DDR400 RAM (4x512MB), I've had these for over a year now and seem to work fine.

The PSU is a ThermalTake 750Watt and is brand new.

I'm beginning to think that the video card may be faulty.... I hope that's not the case.

Collapse -
If it's the GPU, ouch !$!$!
by Dango517 / February 18, 2008 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: I'll try it
Grin I'd check the RAM thoroughly first. Run a memory test utility. Vista has one within it. There are others as well. Two tests might be advised.
Collapse -
The thing is...
by Pezonator / February 18, 2008 5:08 PM PST

I've been thinking

It can't be a problem with the memory or GPU because I can play games, listen to music and watch videos for hours without any problems.?/?-.-

Thanks though, I'll do a memory test soon.

Collapse -
when was the last time you cleaned it?
by Dango517 / February 18, 2008 5:30 PM PST
In reply to: The thing is...
Collapse -
oiling eh?
by Pezonator / February 19, 2008 3:57 PM PST

Never thought of that, so thanks.

The temp is running pretty good, CPU is at 40 to 45 degrees and mobo at 23-27 degrees. The case is an Antec 900 which helps alot.

I also changed the resolution colour to 16 bit, down from 32bit and it seems to be working fine, no crashes and I've been all over the web. So it might be fixed although it now looks pretty average, there might be some colour distortion. I'm not game enough to go back to 32bit Silly

Thanks guys

Collapse -
Not so lucky :(
by Pezonator / February 19, 2008 4:06 PM PST
In reply to: oiling eh?

Sorry for the double.

I posted the one above and it froze 5 seconds later, lol. I then restarted and tried to change to 32bit colour, hit apply and it froze again.

So i'm either thinking of changing the voltages and see how I go or go back to an earlier catalyst driver.

Collapse -
How are the temperatures at 32 bit?
by Dango517 / February 19, 2008 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: oiling eh?

Something its still wrong but you have to live with it. Good luck.

Collapse -
Take the card out and see what happens.
by Dango517 / February 19, 2008 4:15 PM PST

oil it while your in there. Here's another tip if you wrap your fan with rubber bands they run quieter. That around the out side of the fan cases not over the top of the fans, most figure that out, most.

Collapse -
DirectX Diagnostic tool
by longhorn00767 / February 25, 2008 12:06 PM PST

Run "dxdiag.exe" to test your system for porblems.

Collapse -
DX Diag
by Pezonator / February 26, 2008 6:23 PM PST

I have run DX Diagnostics and it comes up with no problems.

I did change my AGP setting to 4x instead of 8x and it seems to be working ok. I have been on sites that have made it crash without trouble such as youtube.

I think I'll just have to change to 4x mode when I'm surfing the net for a while and go back to 8x when playing games.

Thanks for the help. If changing to 4x does not fix it, then I'll post here again Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.