General discussion

Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000?

I have an old Tecra 8000 with a PII 366MHz processor. I would like to know if it is possible to get a new mainboard and processor or am I just stuck with what I have? If it is possible, where would be a good place to look for prices and such? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000?

I'll write no. The display is usually different from model to model and rarely interchangable.

Instead, I find it best to optimize what I have. Simple things like uninstalling any software I haven't used in a few months, changing the antivirus to something less filling (Free AVG from www.grisoft.com) and such usually kick up the machine enough.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000?

OK, this may sound like a stupid question, and I'm not even sure how to word it, so please bear with me. I've built and upgraded a few desktop systems, but this laptop thing has me a bit confused. I guess I need to know if there are "generic" mobos out there (like for desktops). Or are you saying that the actual LCD screen will only work with the particular model of mobo that this laptop has?

I just did a clean instll of Win98SE hoping that would help and have nothing else but NAV on it. My husband has some chess games he wants to put on it, but the thing is so slow that they don't work very well.

Please understand, I'm not trying to question that what your saying is right, I just am the type of person that needs to understand the why's or else it will drive me nuts.

- Collapse -
No such thing (generic motherboard for laptop.)

"OK, this may sound like a stupid question, and I'm not even sure how to word it, so please bear with me. I've built and upgraded a few desktop systems, but this laptop thing has me a bit confused. I guess I need to know if there are "generic" mobos out there (like for desktops). Or are you saying that the actual LCD screen will only work with the particular model of mobo that this laptop has?"

That's what I wrote! It's possible that the parts are somewhat interchangeable, but only within a small list of machines by the same maker and model months.

"I just did a clean instll of Win98SE hoping that would help and have nothing else but NAV on it. My husband has some chess games he wants to put on it, but the thing is so slow that they don't work very well."

What about the rest of the system? Many load the OS, but Microsoft doesn't install motherboard drivers, video, audio and more. The OS installer (you?) gets to collect and install such.

"Please understand, I'm not trying to question that what your saying is right, I just am the type of person that needs to understand the why's or else it will drive me nuts."

Go ahead. I wish it wasn't true. It's why I can only note that some find NAV to soak a machine's CPU cycles so we look for less impact.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:No such thing (generic motherboard for laptop.)

As for the clean install, yes I did load the drivers from the Toshiba website. I will uninstall NAV and use the other one you mentioned instead.

It's too bad, really that these things aren't more flexible for as much as they cost. Of course, I realize it's rather old.

Thanks for your help!

CNET Forums