Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

upgrade to xp, no sound

by Brian S. / October 24, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

After I upgraded to xp from windows ME I no longer have any sound. Other than ungrading I made no other changes. My soundcard is Aureal Vortex 8810. In device manager it is listed as Aureal Vortex 8810 (WDM). The device is enabled and everywhere I check it says that the device is working properly (i.e. in device manager right click on Aureal Vortex, select properties). Volume control sliders are fine and no mute boxes are checked.

When I went to windows update I supposedly downloaded and installed an updated driver.

What do I do? Is it possible to completely remove all the sound card drivers and do a reinstall? If so how? Any and all advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade to xp, no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade to xp, no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft might not have that driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2005 2:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by Brian S. / October 24, 2005 6:56 AM PDT

but the download was for a different Aureal sound card. I previously located and tried to install updated drivers for the sound card but had no luck. Is there any way to completely remove all the sound card drivers to attempt a clean install?

Collapse -
Let me share the Aureal story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2005 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

The company imploded years ago and decided to take all the programming information along with them to the black hole that such imploding companies vanish into.

There is little hope here. So little that I gave away my Diamond MX Aureal card even though it worked in Windows 98 like a charm. But I don't run Windows 98 anymore. Even Linux didn't have a driver.

-> If you can't find a XP Driver you'll end up like me and put in a new card.

In closing, I can't look for your card without make and model.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Your are right what was I thinking.
by Brian S. / October 25, 2005 2:58 AM PDT

I was thinking that Aureal 8810 was my sound card but I guess it is more a reference to it's drivers or something. My sound card is Aureal Vortex SQ1500.

After searching online the past couple days, trying the drivers that I found, I think that I may have to purchase a new sound card.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's dead for XP. Read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
driver for Aureal
by byker49 / October 24, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by Brian S. / October 24, 2005 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: driver for Aureal

for the link but it didn't have any xp drivers for my sound card.

Collapse -
More info
by Merl Priester / October 24, 2005 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you
Collapse -
You are right.
by Brian S. / October 25, 2005 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

I was thinking that Aureal 8810 was my soundcard. It is Aureal Vortex SQ1500. As I answered to Bob, I tried the drives that I found but no luck so far.

Looks like I probably end up buying a new soundcard.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
I'm having a very similar sound problem...
by tlfeher / October 29, 2005 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: You are right.

Just wondering what your final outcome was (or if anyone has any other suggestions). I just upgraded to Win XP Pro myself and am suddenly having weird sound issues (crackling upon initial startup, skipping during songs thru all music programs, sometimes just no sound at all, etc.) Oh my system is also dragging now too, not sure if that's related.

My sound card is an Aureal Montego II, which now after reading the posts, sounds like I might need to scrap it and get a new one.

Is this definitely the problem- get a new sound card? I just don't want to be overlooking anything before running out and installing.

Collapse -
The outcome is well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 8:25 AM PDT

Aureal imploded years ago and took the programming information with them.

To fix this, you install a XP compatible card.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?