Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista

I am wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista and do a clean install in the process. I plan to do this using a retail Windows 7 upgrade disk.

The machine is an older Acer Aspire running the 32 bit Vista OS.

My plan is to buy a new HD because I think the existing HD may be flaking out. Of course, the machine has gone through several iterations of software installs and unistalls in its 7 year life span. So, some of the problems being experienced could be related to those circumstances. That's why I want to do a clean OS install and reinstall of programs.

Is this plan reasonable? What are the problems I might encounter?

I'm new to this forum, but not new to messing with computers. I've fixed my share of them and messed up my share as well. I'm not wanting to mess this one up. So, some advice and counsel would be appreciated.

Neither myself or the client is interested in doing something outside a lawful upgrade.

Would a retail Win 7 Professional OS be better/easier to get the system running on Win 7 pro?

EJ

TLARbb has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TLARbb

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista

a full version of Win 7 pro would be easier to install than the Vista / Win 7 upgrade as you wouldn't have to spend the hours installing the Vista updates necessary to install the Win 7 upgrade. If you install a new HDD and had a Win 7 Pro disc than you would just install that plus any drivers needed.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes it's feasible - here's how.

In reply to: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista

The Windows 7 upgrade will want to have Vista installed. It doesn't have to be activated, and it can be on a different partition. So, what I'd recommend is that you create at least two partitions, one for Vista which doesn't need to be more than 20 GB unless you plan to install programs and actually use it, and the other for Windows 7 (should be at least 100 GB). Then you can do a clean install of Windows 7, and it'll work just fine. Just be sure you have all the drivers you'll need.

Good luck.

Collapse -
What about on a different physical drive?

In reply to: Yes it's feasible - here's how.

Can I install Win 7 on a new hdd set as master with the hdd containing Vista on the "slave".

I think the computer has a couple of problems:

One it has Vista.
Two it has had a lot of install/uninstall and maybe some re-install of various programs over its 7 year life. Probably has lots of crumbs and hairballs in the registry.

I have the new hard drive for the machine now and could clone the old HDD to the new one and then do the upgrade path, but that would leave all those crumbs and hairballs in the new HDD and OS. What I would like to do is a clean install of Win 7 on the new HDD without going through the aggravation of installing Vista on the new HDD and doing all of the updates. I had the apparently crazy idea that I could reinstall Vista off the original media and then just do the upgrade. Windows 7 upgrade disks should have all of the Vista updates up to its release date and not need any Vista updates. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Further complicating my thoughts on this is that the existing HDD has a partition for the operating system and another for Data. I will be looking at it in the next few days. I can't afford to get this machine to a point that it can't be used.

EJ

Collapse -
You're asking about a hookup without my knowledge...

In reply to: What about on a different physical drive?

...about your configuration. Since your computer is 7 years old, I don't know whether we're talking about IDE (PATA) or SATA. If SATA, you don't have master/slave configurations. Is the new drive IDE or SATA? The IDE drives are getting scarce these days, so I'm inclined to suspect the new drive is SATA. Does your mobo support SATA? In any event if you install the new hard drive, you should be able to create a new partition on it, format it, and give it a drive letter, then install the Windows 7 upgrade to it, giving you a clean install. You shouldn't have to do anything else as long as the Windows 7 upgrade can see Vista installed on the old drive. Once you do that, you can create 1 or more partitions on the new drive and copy your data to one of them.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.