Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrade to Win7 or wait?

by katopia / September 6, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

I've read a few things on the internet, but am still confused. Please help! I want to buy a new laptop now (There's a great sale on the system I want and it comes with a free upgrade to Win7). I'm concerned, however, about whether upgrading to Windows 7 will slow down my new system. Would it be much better to wait and get the new laptop after Win7 comes out? Is there a way to upgrade without effecting performance?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade to Win7 or wait?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade to Win7 or wait?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2009 1:57 AM PDT

I did the Windows 7 RC and the results were so good that I will not buy another Vista machine. Have you read what others are wriiting? It definitely was not slower than Vista but that was not your question.

You wrote "Is there a way to upgrade without effecting performance?" If I were to take your question literally then no. We would have to find ways to slow Windows 7 down to match the old Vista speed.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, but...
by katopia / September 6, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me share.

What I really want to know is the difference between my two options:

-Get a good deal on a Vista laptop now, then upgrade to Windows 7

...or...

-Wait to buy a laptop that comes with Windows 7

Either way I'm going to Win7 :o)

Collapse -
You got a good answer to your question.
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

And now it seems you change the question.

The probable difference is that the same laptop will be cheaper in 2 months (apart from coupons and back to school promotions). Or that you can get a slightly better laptop for the same amount of money (again, apart from Black Friday promotions).

But if that is an argument than you could wait another 2 months and so on and so on and never buy one.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry to offend...
by katopia / September 6, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

Sorry to offend... I just didn't word my initial question perfectly.

While I'm please to learn how much better Windows 7 is, I'm wondering the benefits of waiting. You're talking about laptop price, what I'm wondering about is the difference of upgrading an operating system vs. waiting and buying a computer with the new OS already installed. (I only mentioned the deal I'm looking at in order to express why I might not want to wait).

Thanks.

Collapse -
Take a page from history.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2009 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to offend...

Do you remember the Vista Ready trip? While many didn't have trouble those that did found themselves too often in support hell. Your choice here but I would not want to repeat that lesson.
Bob

Collapse -
Having it installed ...
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

certainly is less work than installing it yourself. But nobody knows if it will take one hour, most of it waiting for it to complete, or a few evenings of hard work for YOUR machine in YOUR situation.

Kees

Collapse -
Options
by jeff_windows_team / September 14, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

You will have several options when it comes to upgrading.

When you get your upgrade discs, you can hold off until you feel like the time is right to upgrade from Vista. When you go to upgrade, you will be able to perform a clean installation or an upgrade installation, the later will keep your previous files/programs intact.

Many people prefer a clean install for the sake of starting fresh.

When it comes to getting a good deal, chances are there will always be good deals out there, but it is hard to say for certain that a certain model with Windows 7 will be on sale.

Collapse -
wait
by GODhack / September 11, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

Wait until you will be forced to upgrade because no laptops without win7 available. Muhaha. But it will be much less headache then.

Collapse -
hmmm
by jeff_windows_team / September 11, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: wait

Why wait 'till then?

Collapse -
Microsoft and the computer companies
by orlbuckeye / September 14, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

are trying to sell computers now. It motivates the customer to buy now knowing they will get Windows 7 when it comes out rather then waiting to buy computers in October.

Collapse -
I went for it
by katopia / September 14, 2009 5:27 AM PDT

I decided to get the deal and order my system with the Win 7 upgrade. I think it was the best choice. Thanks for all who gave valuable input.

Collapse -
Good for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 14, 2009 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I went for it

And good luck with the upgrade.

Even though Win 7 looks to be a much more stable and friendly version than Vista, I would still suggest that you backup all of those personal files that you just cannot afford to lose, photos, music, videos, documents, etc.

That is always a good idea, whatever changes you make to an OS, whether XP, Vista, Win 7, and so on.

Mark

Collapse -
You bet
by jeff_windows_team / September 14, 2009 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I went for it

Nice choice and enjoy your new system!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?