Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrade to WIN XP Home from Win 2000 Pro??

by 70441.2227 / March 5, 2007 1:15 AM PST

Hi,
I want to upgrade my OS from WIN 2000 Pro SP 4 to WIN XP Home SP 2. I have a retailer who offers this upgrade, but does not specify if you can upgrade from WIN 2000 Pro. In fact, they don't speciy what update options you have with this upgrade pakage (Form - To). I have e-mailed them asking if this upgrade will work for me. But, as yet, they haven't replied to my query. Will this this upgrade work for me?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade to WIN XP Home from Win 2000 Pro??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade to WIN XP Home from Win 2000 Pro??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No can do. See link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 1:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Upgrade next question
by 70441.2227 / March 5, 2007 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: No can do. See link.

Yes, I knew you could do that upgrade, but it seems the price on the upgrade has gone up to $199. I think it used to be $60 cheaper. Any referals or pointers? I have gone to several comparison shopping sites. Any referals or pointers? Will the price go down (dumb question, huh). I know you could buy the full version at $139 about three weeks ago. Can I upgrade from the full version if I can find it cheaper? I knew you used to able to do it.

Thanks

Collapse -
Looks like a 100 buck savings to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade next question

The full version of retail XP Pro was 299. 199 for the upgrade package. Never found the retail XP Pro (either full or upgrade) for that price. Are you thinking of some OEM version?

Bob

Collapse -
It is OEM...
by 70441.2227 / March 6, 2007 10:38 PM PST

What are the drawbacks to OEM software? Any upside besides price? What is OEM software? It is $139. Can I upgrade from an full version?

Thanks,
Bob

Collapse -
There was no "OEM Upgrade" package by Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: It is OEM...

I'd recheck if it's some pirate version.

Bob

Collapse -
Well....
by 70441.2227 / March 6, 2007 11:34 PM PST

What is a private version? I assumed it was OEM because there was a disclaimer at the bottom of the product description about OEM returns. It did not specifically say that it was nor did it say it was a genuine copy. It was at Tiger Direct. If isn't genuine and it isn't OEM what is it? I don't think a high profile company would be selling a pirated version of the software. I should probably call about it. But, why are we talking about this full version unless I can also update from it? I do want to upgrade my WIN 2000 Pro mahine. I do not want to do a clean install. I think the answer to that question is crucial to the discussion.

Thanks,
Bob

Collapse -
OEM vs. "OEM Upgrade"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Well....

That's the clue I use to sniff out the pirate issue.

-> But let's cut to the bottom line if you have some OEM version. There is no supported method to "upgrade from Windows 2000" to XP Home. You can however install your new OS cleanly and then begin reinstalling your apps and files from your backups.

I use another method. I put in a blank hard disk then install the OS, all those lovely motherboard and other drivers and once I'm good I put the old drive as the slave so I can quickly copy over my files.

Bob

Collapse -
I have made my decision.....
by 70441.2227 / March 8, 2007 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: OEM vs. "OEM Upgrade"

Hi,
For $180 + $4 shipping I have deided to buy a certified WIN XP Pro Upgarde for Windows 2000 Pro. The hassle included with any other solution is not worth $84 to me.

Bob

Collapse -
dual booting WIN 2000 Pro SP 4 and WIN XP Home SP 2
by rldamit / March 5, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: No can do. See link.

I have a hdd with XP home sp2 installed on it and Im trying to add it to (and boot from) my other system which has 2000 Pro SP4 as the OS.
The drive shows up and I have access to the files when I boot with 2000, but when I select Xp to boot from it freezes up . I dont know if Ive copied the boot.ini to the new system or how I go about doing that?
Also Iam using OSL2000 boot manager if that helps.

Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:16 AM PST

XP doesn't move like that. Try the usual XP REPAIR INSTALL (see google.com) and see if that helps.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.