Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Upgrade to laptop

by jean_macpherson / May 25, 2008 8:23 PM PDT

Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP2 - Intel 701 MHz - 76 gb total 64 gb free. I am thinking of upgrading to a laptop and want to know if it is possible to completely copy my system, files, etc., from my current pc without having to reload anything. If it is possible, how do I go about it?

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Jean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade to laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade to laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: upgrading to laptop.
by Kees Bakker / May 25, 2008 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to laptop

There's a short, yet comprehensive, answer: No.

You buy a working laptop (most come with Vista, nowadays, but you might be able to find one with XP if you do a good search or find a local shop - the one with me still has them custom-built).
Then you reinstall all applications you want from the original setup. Some might not be Vista compatible, and you might need to download or even buy newer versions then.

Then you copy all your personal data. For this amount a USB-stick might be the easy way.

Kees

Collapse -
Data transfer XP/VISTA
by Phil Crase / May 26, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

Belkin makes a VISTA/XP transfer device, hooks up USB they run about 50 bucks but as someone else said, for basic data transfer get a USB thumb drive, very easy to use and not expensive, very functional.Good luck!

Collapse -
Upgrade to laptop
by pc_tech2008 / May 26, 2008 1:51 PM PDT

Yes and NO!!!!

Yes...
1. Any personal data file you created.
(.doc , .xls etc..)

2. Any saved game score (just copy out the needed data into a usb drive and copy it back into the laptop).

3. Note: laptop hard drive usually are smaller than desktop hard drive therefore you want to be careful what you are copying over.

NO!!!

1. Window is very tricky unless you know know how to troubleshoot it if you screw up.

2. Recommend... for software (like office, adobe product) do a install from scratch.

3. for data files you can copy it in but beware each file or install you add in takes up drive space and if you are not careful you will get disk FULL very soon.

4. You don't want to over load our laptop internal drive. Sometimes software you use need to allocate drive space so if you fill it up too much with personal data or software what you are trying to do next will not work.

5. I think you can copy the ie favorite folder over.

6. don't forget whether you are in vista or xp the old all time favorite 'dos command' still works.

7. laptop won't have option slot for addition hardware addition like the desktop does.

8. very important....check www.cpsc.gov
search under the laptop maker name
any recall for the laptop

this site is product recall. For the past year there has been lots of recall on laptop battery, hp printer cable and other items. Check there before buying.

Good Luck

Collapse -
changin language of operating system
by jean_macpherson / October 18, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

Thanks to all for their advice. One further question; if I buy my laptop in France, how do I change the operating system language from French to English? I am assuming this is possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jean

Collapse -
There is no definitive answer. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

Because the OEM that installed the OS could have stripped out that feature. While RETAIL WINDOWS has some capability of doing this, you can never be sure with a pre-installed OS.

Plan on having to replace the OS later if you go down that road.
Bob

Collapse -
Changing language of operating system
by jean_macpherson / October 18, 2008 5:17 PM PDT

Thanks for your advice, Bob. I still live in France until December and want to upgrade to laptop before then as ROM and RW on my pc aren't working properly. If I intend upgrading anyway, there's not much point in getting them fixed. I have ordered Tornado for transferring files, etc., and still have XP disc from when I upgraded from Windows Me so, if language change is not possible, I can always instal XP over the OS. However, if language change is possible, how would I go about it?

Jean

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2008 11:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
You can...maybe
by icepop4who / October 23, 2008 3:13 PM PDT

Yes, you can if you have Vista ultimate or XP professional. If you do, reply to me and i'll tell you more

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?