Computer Help forum

General discussion

Upgrade question

I'm looking to upgrade the processor in my Dell desktop (531). I currently have an AMD 5000. I know that an AMD 6000 will work in this system. My question is, will an AMD 6400 work? I havn't seen a confirmed report of this working or not. Both the 6000 and 6400 operate on the same voltage and require the same amount of power (125w). They are also both windsor processors I believe. Basically the only difference I can find is the .2 ghz speed. Thank you for any thoughts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible issue...

In reply to: Upgrade question

Double-check the wattage of your current and potential processors. My Windsor chart shows the following flavors:
AMD X2 5000: 65W or 89W
AMD X2 6000: 89W or 125W
AMD X2 6400: 125W

The specs Dell published on your desktop do not go into that kind of detail, but it doesn't look like the wattages are conducive to the upgrade.

John

Collapse -
I just found this in a newegg review

In reply to: Possible issue...

""RIG SPECIFICATIONS: Default Build - Dell Inspiron 531 Motherboard - ASUS M2N61-AX (Dell Inspiron 531 Default) Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Graphics Card - XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX RAM - US Modular 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz If you're on the edge about buying this processor, do it.""

According to wikipedia, that is indeed the mobo that comes in the 531. Is there any reason my motherboard we be different. Does this mean that the processor will work?

Collapse -
That's what it implies, but...

In reply to: I just found this in a newegg review

I still doubt the motherboard would support it. AMD states your current processor only comes in 65W and 89W models while the 6400 only comes as a 125W model. That Newegg purchaser's review indicates it works, but the specs indicate otherwise. (The specs for your motherboard are unavailable, but those of every similar model made by Asus have a limit of 95W processors. Before making any decision I would contact Dell and ask for the motherboard specifications to know for sure. Without that, though, I would say no...most likely it will either not work or, at the very least, be unstable.

John

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: That's what it implies, but...

Thank you for your help. I'll try to acquire the motherboard information.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.