Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrade or dual Boot

by mickyjk / February 2, 2009 10:05 AM PST

I already installed the dual boot of Windows 7 beta using help from the video on the site. But the internet is giving me troubles and doesn't allow me to connect to a network from the Windows 7 boot, yet it does from the Vista boot. Im considering unintalling Windows 7 Beta dual boot and just do an upgrade. I have a couple of questions.
1.When i upgrade, would the internet and network settings remain the same?
2.Would my files remain as they are?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade or dual Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade or dual Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They should...
by FrankQC / February 2, 2009 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade or dual Boot

You should still backup all of your stuff just-in-case they decide to delete.

Do not install Windows7 on a mission-critical computer.

Collapse -
but wait
by mickyjk / February 2, 2009 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: They should...

Okay thank you, I am backing up my files right now, thank you for the advice, but i still need an answer for 1. will my drivers remain intact?

Collapse -
They should
by FrankQC / February 2, 2009 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: but wait

Really it's only an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

If all goes wrong you can still redownload your drivers.

So basically, before you reboot, download copies of your drivers from trusted sources... should something go wrong.

Collapse -
You may want to reconsider...
by John.Wilkinson / February 2, 2009 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrade or dual Boot

1.) The Windows 7 Beta EXPIRES in August, at which time it will cease to function. You cannot upgrade from Windows 7 beta to Windows 7 or downgrade back to Vista. Thus, if you choose to upgrade now you will have to wipe everything and start from scratch later.
2.) If the Vista drivers do not work with Windows 7 you will lose network connectivity until you wipe your drive and start over.

It is best to attempt repairing the problem under the current Windows 7 installation...less hassle.

John

Collapse -
I JUST JOINED THIS CNET POST
by mcexpert01 / February 9, 2009 8:39 AM PST

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU SYS CONFIG IS BUT I HAVE A STUDIO THAT CAME W I WIN HPX 64, SO WHAT I DID ID JUST ADD ANOTHER OARTTITION TO MY HDD INSTALLED A FRECH COPY OF VISTA HOME PREM UPDATED OF COURSE SHUT DOWN AND INSTALLED WIN 7 IN C SDK TOOLS TO THE OTHETHER PARTITION, WORKS GREAT AND YOU HAVE DSL YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEN JUST DOEN LOAD WIN LIVE ESSENTIALS AND IT WILLSYNC EVERTHING, BY THE WAY SP2 WAS RELEASED IN BETA FRIDAY DO INSTALL UNTIL AFTER , DULE BPOOT IS DONE GOOD LUCK

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!