Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Upgrade Office 2007 Home to Office 2007 w/ Outlook

by ClarksvilleJoeII / February 27, 2010 3:21 AM PST

Hi,

I am using Office 2007 Home Edition and my old Outlook 2003, primarily because - when I bought my new PC from Dell and purchased Office 2007 Home Edition as part of my software package - I did not know that the Office 2007 Home Edition did not include Outlook 2007 (which is the main item in Office that I use for mail and my calendar).

However, I am having quite a few problems with my old version of Outlook 2003, and after many unsucessful troubleshooting and repair attempts (and reloads), I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade my Office 2007 Home Edition to an edition of Office 2007 that includes Outlook 2007. The seperate version of Outlook 2007 is pretty costly, just to use the e-mail and calendar features of Office 2007.

Note - I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell XPS 431 (64-bit) system.

Thanks so much, Clarksville Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade Office 2007 Home to Office 2007 w/ Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade Office 2007 Home to Office 2007 w/ Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I may be wrong
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 5:29 AM PST

and I won't be surprised if I am, but I always thought Office products came with Outlook as an option, except may be the Office for Students suite.

There isn't an Office 'Home Edition' as far as I am aware, unless that's what you mean, the Microsoft Office Home & Students edition.

Yep, reading your post again, I see that's what you mean.

Unfortunately there are no easy, (meaning cheaper), upgrades avenues for you. If you need to stay with the Outlook range and not try different options, then to get Outlook 2007 you will need to purchase it as a standalone product, eg from Microsoft, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/FX100487751033.aspx

Or maybe other retail outlets like Amazon.

Sorry.

Collapse -
Thank You
by ClarksvilleJoeII / February 27, 2010 5:35 AM PST

Thank you. I thought that I may have to.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2010 7:11 PM PST

If - even after a uninstall and reinstall - you've got (unspecified as yet) problems with Outlook 2003, there's a fair chance you'll have exactly the same problems with Outlook 2007. Depends on the cause, of course. It might be better to get Outlook 2003 working again. What are your problems?

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook 2003 Situation
by ClarksvilleJoeII / March 3, 2010 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook

Hi Kees,

Thanks for your advice.

Outlook 2003 seems to freeze while I am adding items to my calendar.

It has happened three or four times now, and the last time it happened, I reloaded Outlook 2003, and when I went to sync it with my iphone, to get back my calendar items and contacts, instead of importing them from my iphone (as it had done the past three times, it wiped out my iphone calendar and contacts).

I have a backup on a DVR, but when I load it, only my archive files load into Outlook 2003, none of my contacts or my calendar seem to reload. That is why I am somewhat hesitant to keep using it. Also, any advice that you could give me on the reload of my calendar and contacts whold be greatky appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Collapse -
Re: reload Outlook data
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2010 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook 2003 Situation
http://www.adminspy.com/Windows-Tips/Outlook-configurations-and-file-locations.html tells where Outlook 2003 stores all it's data. So if you backup and restore all that, you should have everything back.

Outlook freezing generally has one of two causes:
1. A corrupted file somewere
2. An add-on interfering

You can test #1 by running Outlook in a brand new Windows account. It will make and use perfectly empty new non-corrupted files then.
You can test #2 by running in socalled safe mode: http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/safemode.htm

Kees
Collapse -
reload Outlook data
by ClarksvilleJoeII / May 20, 2010 12:32 AM PDT

Thanks Kees. Test 2 worked fine, and my Outlook 2003 runs perfectly in the safe mode.

Is it possible to get rid of the corrupted file(s), so that I can once again run Outlook 2003 in a normal mode (with Windows 7), instead of running in the safe mode? Also, I'm not sure how to find the corrupted file(s), or how to get rid of it/them. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

All the best, Joe

Collapse -
May not be necessary.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: reload Outlook data

As Kees said, test 2, (Safe Mode test), helps to see if the problems may be add-on related, and not necessarily corrupted files.

So, if Outlook 2003 works in Safe Mode, then your next step is to check Outlooks Add-ons. Not sure, but I think that will be Tools > Manage Add-ons.

So, go there and do an elimination test.My own way would be to disable all add-ons, test, then start adding them back in one at a time, and testing after each one. If you find one that causes this problem again, disable it then delete it if possible.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.